XP repair

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mondaynightmike, Feb 17, 2007.

1. mondaynightmike

mondaynightmike New Member

Hey guys,

had a quick search but couldn't find anything.

Recently (well for a while) every now and then a program won't load. Everytime i load the program i get a "this program must close" error.

It only really happened to nero, even trying different versions of it.

But i recently installed Gif animator 5, and it also does it to this now.

I'm thinking something is messed up in XP somewhere, and considering the repair function, but just wondering what this exactly does?

As far as i'm aware it replaces all the system files? but will it mean i have to re-install all my programs? or will this keep them intact?

thanks.

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Your programs will be left intact.

Do you have system restore turned on?
    You could always try to restore it to an earlier point before you do a repair.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Windows Repair deletes all of the files that it will replace, and then it replaces them. It doesn't do anything to the other files on your hard drive.

4. hayWIR3D

hayWIR3D ** 40 days, 40 nights cumming to an OT near you **

MMM: Would it be possible to post a screenie of you PROCESS tab in TASK MANAGER? You can tell by some of the functions that are currently in operation sometimes. Another thing that I have done to get rid of stuff like this in the past was to disable any other services that are not MICROSOFT CORP related. You can do that by going to Start> Run> MSCONFIG> SERVICES TAB (click on manufacturer column to alphabetize)> Then scroll through and uncheck services that are not needed such as bearshare (if not using) mirc, limewire, or any other services to that nature.

Post a screenie of your services tab, let me have a look.