XP, lost one file at reboot....

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by stillspiraling, Oct 7, 2004.

1. stillspiraling

stillspiraling Would you like some making fuck, BERSERKER

I fucking despise windows, yet I must work in it on a daily basis to do access database work and Visual C++ stuff.

Here's the problem: I installed SP2 and left auto update on (BIG mistake). I then finished a ton of SQL queries written by hand which I pasted into an open text file in notepad. I shut off my monitors and went to bed, but didn't save the notepad file (forgot).

I woke up, the desktop is clear and my file is GONE. There's a notification at the bottom that says "Windows update has updated...blabla....and automatically restarted your system". WTF it automatically restarted and I lost my fucking file. This is a SHITLOAD of work. Is there ANY way windows stored it in a temp directory or something? Because when you restart with a doc open it says "this has not been saved, yada yada"...

Please tell me there is a directory somewhere like this :hs:

2. IAMwhitey

IAMwhitey New Member

ouch, sorry about that... I don't believe so. especially something that wasn't saved and also only a text file.

3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Sorry to hear...

Besides the fact that you forgot to save the file, take a look at your Windows Update settings. In SP2 there are two options for installing updates. One is express and one is custom. I believe the custom will automatically download and install them for you. I'm not sure if it would automatically reboot for you though...

I actually haven't gotten any updates since SP2.

As for a temp file, I doubt it since it was never saved... You may have had a chance if it was a Word file, not a notepad file.

4. stillspiraling

stillspiraling Would you like some making fuck, BERSERKER

What you guys have said is exactly what I already thought :(

thanks for replies.