xp login accounts, how to set up...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by linebacker, Aug 10, 2005.

1. linebacker

linebacker New Member

i have 5 roommates. i have a desktop set up in the living room for everyone and their friends to use. it uses xp home. i have my own login account, and there is another login for everyone else.

what i want to do is have it where when the user logs off, any changes they've made since they logged on is wiped out. any changes to the shell, registry, etc. any newly installed programs are wiped out as if they were never installed. can this be done, and how?

2. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

There is a program that will do that. I cant think of the name right now though.

3. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

First off make sure they are limited accounts. Second, if you are going to wipe all their data each time, why not just enable the guest account and have everyone else use that and password protect your account? Then, just have a scheduled task run at like 5am each day that wipes the folders out of the guest account. Otherwise, I think you need a 3rd party program to do this right, and I also cannot remember the name for one that does that. Maybe something like fortress? I can't remember.

4. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

I don't even think the Guest account saves any setting changes or documents. I could be wrong about that... try it out.

Guest should not be able to install any programs either, although you might still be susceptible to spyware and whatnot.

5. linebacker

linebacker New Member

i have it set up where my account is password protected. and there's a guest account for the community. i don't want to limit this account though. i want the account to be able to install programs and everything. i want the account to have these privileges, but revert everything back once they log off. all the data in the registry, shell, etc from the programs they used gets wiped clean. how do i do this?

6. Apothis

Apothis New Member

Deep Freeze does what you describe, except it applies to the whole computer (including you) rather than just them. It seems kinda overkill anyway. Just make them limited users and they can't do shit. Of course, if you don't care about them having any kind of persistent/individual settings (and it sounds like you don't), then the simples thing would be to have them take turns on the guest account, as others have mentioned.

7. Apothis

Apothis New Member

Remember, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. You basically want everybody to be able to do everything, and then "undo" it all. I'm sorry, that's just a bad idea. Having multiple people with admin power is just begging for trouble.