XP install error

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TheWeasel, Oct 16, 2008.

1. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

I've been trying to install XP Pro on a new HP that has Vista on it's main drive but have run into an issue. The installer starts but fails due to error 0x0000007B. Seems that the installer doesn't have the RAID drivers. Is there any way around creating a stupid fucking custom installer disc using nLite that includes the drivers and will take forever to make it work? I don't have a floppy drive so that's not an option. :ugh::squint:

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Nope.

You can put the SATA controller into IDE mode though - that would prevent using Vista from booting however.

3. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

How might I do so? Can I just do it for the time being to install XP on the damn drive? I have 2 x 320GB drives. Vista on the one and I want XP Pro on the other.

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

You'll have to do it in the BIOS - look for the SATA compatibility mode or something like that.

5. critter783

critter783 OT Supporter

You can change Vista's hard drive controller driver through the registry and it will still work.

6. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Hmmmm, OK thanks. We'll see what happens.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Borrow a floppy drive and do it right.

8. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Fucking sweet. Worked. Switched the SATA1 to IDE from RAID and it's installing now. Thank you. :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

9. deusexaethera

You'll never be able to switch it back, without farking the OS; just letting you know.

10. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Why would I need to switch it back? Just leave it as is and set the drive order I wanna boot in. When I wanna boot to the other drive I can set that drive as the first boot drive in the boot manager.

11. deusexaethera

I'm not sure, but I think IDE-compatibility mode limits the speed of the connection.

12. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Hmmmm, that's no good. We'll see what happens. I may be able to go back to RAID once Windows XP is installed.

13. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Awesome, installing XP on the 2nd drive fucked everything. Even the restore partition is fucked. Waiting on restore discs from HP now. HA!

14. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

if you install on both drives you can't use raid. All raid needs 2 drives minimum.

By the way, I won't buy up computers anymore. Their images suck and they won't give real install media. F that noise.

15. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Try a boot manager.
    Google "boot manager XP and Vista" and see what you come up with.

If you can still boot into XP you may be able to get Vista back via the boot manager.