XP Home and HyperThreading

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by YelloWRX, Sep 1, 2003.

1. YelloWRX

YelloWRX Sonic Yellow...Bitch!

I know that one of the key differences between XP Pro and Home is that Home does not support more than one CPU. Since my understanding of Intel HyperThreading is that it effectively creates two CPUs by executing certain processes in parrallel, I am curious to know whether / how well Hyperthreading works with XP Home?

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2003
  2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

works just the same from what I've seen because it's not a true cpu. In device manager on xp home it will still show 2 cpu's.

3. YelloWRX

YelloWRX Sonic Yellow...Bitch!

If the operating system "sees" two CPUs, and does not support more than one, how can the full benefit of H/T be realized with XP Home?

4. StevesVR4

StevesVR4 Get Arrested

Microsoft's official stance (I think) is that XP Home does work with HT tech and will run as if there were two processors in the system. The key is there is still just one proc in there so Microsoft is happy from the standpoint of getting your money. With XP Pro, you can have two processors with HT tech and it will run as if there were four processors in the system. The key is there is still just two procs in there so Microsoft is happy from the standpoint of getting your money.

5. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

So does that mean if I have a 2.4ghz chip with HT tech essentially it is running at 4.8ghz??

6. StevesVR4

StevesVR4 Get Arrested

No. When you are working on your computer, a lot of the time the proc is sitting and waiting for input from you, the hard drive, memory, things like that. The time the proc is sitting and waiting is wasted time. You want the proc to be busy doing stuff. This originally spawned OS based multithreading. By running multiple threads, the OS can switch threads when one is stuck waiting for some response from somewhere. This allows more work to be completed in the same amount of time. From what I understand about HT, it is taking the multithreading one step farther and having the proc itself handle some of the threading. The processor knows better when it is doing something and when it is waiting. It should be more efficient at switching between tasks to help you get even more work out of the processor while using the same amount of time. The software sees this ability as two seperate processors even though there is just one. So, your 2.4 GHz chip will not run as if it was a 4.8 GHz chip. Instead, your processor utilization rate (amount of time the proc was doing something useful) will increase.

7. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

Wow!

Excellent reply thank you very much! I too am in MN the TC. If you ever wanna chat you can hit me up via PM with an instant mssger handle. Thanks again!