XP HELP! "access denied" After XP reinstall, psswd issue...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Krypto, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Krypto

Krypto New Member

OK...here's the story...

My bro-in law borrowed my computer without my knowledge and currupted the OS. He then installed XP on the drive again but ever since then im unable to access this ONE folder that I have all my files in! The file holds a sentimental value and im panicking because I cant access it. The hard drive was NOT reformatted! Thus when I search for that folder, I still see it but keep getting a "access denied" error. My xp longin name had a password on it and im guessing thats why this acct isnt letting me open that file because of the ownership. How would I be able to access that file??? Also this OS is ALSO currupt and Im having a VERY hard time not burning the computer to the ground but I dont want to reinstall anything on it untill im able to retrieve my info. Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer a helping hand or advice.

Kruso

ps
    I've already created another acct with the same user ID and password and its still not letting me access those files, worth a try....

2. Stealthy_C

Stealthy_C my Vespa rocks.. ̔̕̚̕̚ ҉ ҉̵̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇̊̋̌̍̎ ̏̐̑̒ OT Supporter

Are you logged in as the admin? If so you will have access to it. Can u try to burn your files to a cd then reformat.

3. Krypto

Krypto New Member

Admin??? My acct is admin account....I have all the authority...is that what you're referring to or in safe mode "admin" either way, still cant access it.

Kruso

4. Stealthy_C

If you Are loged in as the admin, then take ownership of the folder. If you cant then reinstall XP, you wont have to format the drive unless u decided to.

Id do a reinstall to fix what ever is messed up

5. deemistro

deemistro Guest

have your tried "restoring" xp to an earlier date? as long as your bro only performed an xp "overlay" you can try this.. its worth a shot.

6. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

7. Krypto

Krypto New Member

This is not the first forum board I've joined so no need to bust out with smart remarks....I had already done a search for this problem and that particular post came up with the search of the words "access denied" but still didnt do any good. Im still unable to access the folder. It wont let me go past "properties" I dont see a security tab or button anywhere....

Kruso

8. 5Gen_Prelude

I don't have XP but I'd suggest you PM the guy I helped since I believe he had the same problem of getting that Tab to come up.

9. 5Gen_Prelude

10 seconds on google:

To reveal the Security tab, open Windows Explorer, and choose Folder Options from the Tools menu. On the View tab, scroll to the bottom of the Advanced Settings and clear (click) the check box next to "Use Simple File Sharing." Click OK to apply the change, and you should now have a Security tab when viewing the properties of a file on an NTFS volume.

10. Stealthy_C

If none of this works, then your admin rights are messed up.

11. deemistro

deemistro Guest

or if you could obtain a tool called "ERD Commander 2003" -you would boot from this and tool will allow you to reset permissions to any folder and its sub-folders, i had the same problem and i forgot that i even had this software.. tried it last night and BAM, access granted!!

12. deemistro

deemistro Guest

13. Krypto

Krypto New Member

Hey 5GEN_PRELUDE....thanks alot for your help, and everyone else aswell....

You were right...but didnt quite do the job, turns out that after getting to the "owner" tab, you're suppose to click on the little box at the very bottom which states "Replace owner on subcontainers and object" which did the job. Thanks alot everyone, real glad to have this folder back.

Kruso

14. 5Gen_Prelude

Which I did mention in my post ;) :

...click on the administrator and the check mark...