XP freezing! BAH!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by capcrnch, Sep 4, 2003.

1. capcrnch

capcrnch Active Member

I have no clue what to or where to look with this..

I just installed XP a couple weeks ago (upgrade from ME) and ive had issues over the past 2 days with the computer freezing up.
    Total freeze up. I have no mouse usage, I cant cntrl-alt-del, I have nothing.. It happens at random times, today I was outside for an hour, I came back inside and it was frozen... I laid down for 2 hours today, came back and it was frozen...

Ive shut off the screen saver and it still occurs.. I have over 380mb of RAM and according to samurize, I have 200+ free (thats almost everytime I look at the stats.. I dont know if something is mysteriously chomping up RAM while im away)..

Guys, any ideas at all?

2. MP

MP New Member

you upgraded or did you do a clean install?

if you just upgraded i highly suggest you back up your data off-site somewhere and do a fresh install (format + install).

3. capcrnch

capcrnch Active Member

I did a fresh install.
    Dumped the old ME with a drive format, then loaded XP.

4. MP

MP New Member

windows update all current?

all drivers current?

if that's all okay It might not be a software issue but a hardware issue. Possibly overheating problems. How are the temps looking in the system? PSU fan, cpu fan both spinning okay?

You say it just started happening two days ago. What was the last program you installed? Last piece of hardware installed?

5. capcrnch

capcrnch Active Member

Yeah, all drivers are current, all the updates are current..
    I checked the event log and here is the log for the last time I froze up and had to reboot
    AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO port address (0xcfc), which lies in the 0xcf8 - 0xcff protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

6. capcrnch

capcrnch Active Member

Ok, wait..
    That error message was from when I rebooted. There is nothing in the files from the time that I froze. My clock shows the time I froze up, but there is no error log at that point..

Any ideas?