XP: Files and Settings Transfer Wizard

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Create, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Create

Create :free at last:

I'd never tried to use this before today.

Single user account, *no* roaming profile, both pc's in same domain.

I logged onto the user account/computer I wanted to export and ran the wizard, exporting to a local folder. The export result is a parent folder named 'USMT2.UNC' which contains a 100MB 'IMG00001.DAT' file and a 1K 'status' file.

I transferred the folder to another PC and logged on as the same user. When I point the wizard at the files created during export I am told "There is no data file present", no error code, no link to explanation, nada.

MSKB has little help (that I've been able to find). Ideas anyone?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

don't use the F&S-TW. It's worthless.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Yeah, that really is the most worthless wizard ever. If you need to copy files and settings, you're better off exporting the HKEY_CURRENT_USER folder in Regedit.exe, and copying the contents of the user's My Documents folder. That will get you 95% of the way there.

4. Create

Thank you very much. My Doc's, fav's, desktop, start menu, and move the folder stated above. Am I missing anything?

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Make sure to export HKEY_CURRENT_USER, then import it into the new computer from inside Regedit.exe. If you just double-click the export file, it will stop importing as soon as it hits the first error, and it doesn't give you the option to continue and ignore errors.

Favorites are stored in your \Documents and Settings\[username] folder. The Start Menu is too, but it's not advisable to copy the Start Menu because almost all of the shortcuts will be broken on the new computer.

6. Create

Will do.

I was just moving these folders and letting everyone contend with re-setting the app settings. Then, I began switching to roaming profile for the user that's moving, then swapping back to local. It's a pita process, but was infrequent enough that I lived with it.

Now I've got 2 solid weeks of madness coming and need a better way. We're getting a new main location, but this one is going to function as an auxiliary office indefinitely.

I'm fooked: been years since I've touched a multi-loc network and that was the NT4 days.