XP crash. Possible Hard drive issue.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Blue Leaves, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Blue Leaves

Blue Leaves Active Member

This is a fairly new XP install (under 2 weeks) due to issues with a new BFG 6600GT OC being installed.

Symptoms:
    XP freezes randomly. Has frozen due to the following instances (but not all the time. As stated this happens randomly):
    -frozen at the point that msn messenger 7.5 finally connects to the server
    -frozen due to azereus running (I think) so i switched to ABC
    -clicking on an offtopic thread containing many large pictures. Froze once the thread page was 1/4 of the way opened according to the explorer status bar. Upon reboot the page loaded fine.
    -hard drive becomes fragmented very often. Every time I open up defrag to analyze it, it always recommends a defrag.
    capacity 25.69
    free space 19.23
    %free space 74%
    -after user sign-in the computer lags far longer then it used to

I believe that this is a hard drive issue. Has anybody experienced this before?

My system used to be absolutely stable considering it is running a hot chip. It was able to stay up for months at a time without any freezes. This started happening after I installed an additional SATA hd and the bfg6600GT. I eliminated the 6600GT by putting my old card (ti4400) back in for a few days. I unplugged the new hard drive for a few days as well. still no problems.

=======================================
    Specs:

Windows XP Pro service pack 2 (all the latest patches)
    Pentium 4 2.8E w/ht and 1MB cache
    Asus p4p800 se flashed with newest bios from the asus site
    1 GB of dual channel kingston ram
    SB Audigy 2
    Fire wire card
    Plextor dvd burnder
    420W Enermax PS
    The device manager shows no problems.

Hard Drives
    System drive is a 80GB Seagate SATA hard drive. XP has its own 25GB partition. Named "Cracky" because of the sound it makes. Like loose parts inside. I believe this is a normal sound as it doesnt sound like its struggling.

160GB SATA Drive. Western Digital.
    80GB and 60GB EIDE drives.

=======================================

2. idesofmarch

idesofmarch New Member

Could be hard drive but when I have problems like that I generally suspect the power supply to be at fault.

3. PeacefulAnarchy

PeacefulAnarchy You get one for the money, two for the show, three

I'm thinking it COULD be a combo of both...Having witnessed hard drives die before, and having witnessed PSU's die before, I'd try swapping out both for great justice.

4. Blue Leaves

The Enermax Noisetaker 420W that I have currently was swapped in last week as part of the trouble shooting that I did. Up from another enermax that was only 300W.

I ran a memory test on my ram for approx. 2.5 cycles and discovered nothing.

Could it be the CPU that causes the lock-up? This is one serious lock up. It just locked up again today. Another MSN messenger one. The icon was rotating and was just about to show my online list then it locked up hard.

Could the sudden spike in system resources be causing the lock-up? If so then could it be CPU, page file, or GPU?

5. PeacefulAnarchy

Could easily be an overheating CPU - check the temps. if it's above 60 degrees C ya probobly found the culprit.

6. Blue Leaves

I have a Prescott so those things run by. I am going to look into upgrading the fan now.

I noticed that mine idles at 55 so ya maybe its time to increase the air in there.

Any suggestions? I found these: http://www.legitreviews.com/article.php?aid=6

Now I'm going to search offtopic for more suggestions.

7. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

When my syetm crashed due to overclocking the whole thing restarted. It didn't just freeze up.

You should download and run the utilities that a lot of hard drive manufacturers offer to do a scan of the hard drive.

8. Blue Leaves

I did that to the new drive since I suspected that its addition was the source of my misery. Test came back negative so I guess I'm going to run the same western digital HD tester on the seagate drive that I'm using as my system

9. Blue Leaves

I actually have offtopic, winamp, messenger and pc probe running right now and it isnt breaking 50 degrees so I dont know if it's a heat issue really. Right now its at 45

Here's the ironic part. After I installed PC Probe and started it up guess what happened? Yup another lock-up.:rl:

I still might purchase a better cpu fan but not until I figure out what the hell is going on with this thing.

10. tony

tony Guest

Running a P4 at 60-65*C will not cause any problems.

I have a p4-2.8 that runs at around that under load, and has been for at least a year now. If you're toching the low-end of 70* intel's thermal overload protection starts to kick in.

11. PeacefulAnarchy

Replace the mobo. My buddy's Asus S478 mobo's AGP slot just fucked itself yesterday.

That HP has been NOTHING but problems since day one...

12. Blue Leaves

actually I think the Seagate Sata Drive that I'm using as my system drive is on its way to HD heaven. I ran HD tach on it and the thing is transfering at a lowly 3.4MB/second and it seems that I cant set it to Ultra DMA mode anymore.

Also the thing is constantly fragmented. It looks like I'm moving all my stuff over to the back up drive tonight and a WD raptor is going in tomorrow. The Seagate is going in for warranty as I got it with a 3 year warranty while those things existed.

A couple of questions:

Is it logical to think that this is causing the lock-up?
    Does anybody know how to turn on UltraDMA mode? as I am in no mood to purchase a $100 hard drive if I dont have to.

13. Blue Leaves

Prior to these problems my system was like a rock. Never blue screened me. Never locked up. I don't believe that its the mobo but there's a chance that could explain why ultra DMA mode is not working for this EIDE controller.

Hopefully I dont buy a new drive and realize that the mobo is the culprit. There's going to be some troubleshooting with the HD's tonight.

14. Blue Leaves

**Update**

switched the SATA connections to each drive and turned on UDMA for the system drive and now the hard drive is performing like it should be. Hopefully this has solved the crashing issue. I will update further.

At least I dont have to buy that Raptor drive now.

15. Blue Leaves

Unfortuanely my XP is not stabe and since fixing the hard drive issue I think I'm going to reinstall xp.

A couple of other things that I'm going to do is:

Move the two sticks of dual-channel to the other two slots on my mobo.
    Use different drivers for my network card