XP connecting to internet issue. Connects to router fine, other computers on network

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by zanyspy_dude, Nov 11, 2008.

1. zanyspy_dude

zanyspy_dude King of teh n00bz

My xp laptop is connecting to my router using wpa2 (i believe I had to get apatch from microsoft for this to work). I can use the router config page fine over 192.168.1.1, but I cannot reach the internet. I can also connect to someone else's unsecured network and reach the internet. I have turned off the fire wall, no effect.

There are two other machines on the network that are using the internet just fine.

I just deleted a vpn connection that i didn't need. I dunno if that changes anything.

If i ping google.com nothing happens and if i ping 74.125.95.103 (a google ip) I get a "destination net is unreachable" message.

How in the world to I get to the internet?

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Your other two computers are wireless or not? Before doing anything, plug your laptop into the router and see if it works. If it does, you've turned on something in the wireless security that's causing it to fail.

3. zanyspy_dude

the other two computers are wireless. I can't plug the laptop into the router (it has no lan ports, just wireless), but it must be working since it can connect to other networks.

I'm using DD-WRT. What settings could possibly allow a connection to the router, but not get wan trafic from the router?

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

MAC address filtering is one. Is it actually getting a DHCP address?

5. zanyspy_dude

Thank you all so very much for looking. The router was not pluged into the modem, the one computer that was acesing the internet was. I could ping all the computers because everyone was on the wireless but only one had a lan connection :(

I'm totally fucking retarded.