XP CD wont reformat Vista

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by popsnbeer, Feb 13, 2009.

1. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

Hey all...I am having an issue with either my computer, hard drive, or XP CD.

I currently have Vista installed on my computer and am looking ot put XP on it. This computer has never had XP on it and came from the factory with Vista (2 year old HP).

When I put my XP CD in, it goes through the blue screen and looks like it is going to work to reformat and then load XP on it, however it is not working and gives me an error message. I am at work right now and don't remember exactly what it says. I will update at home tonight.

Any ideas on why this is not working? I don't feel like calling Microsoft and paying to speak to some guy in India (no offense) although I am sure they could figure it out.

FYI...this is an older XP disc that I have had for about 4-5 years and the serial number has not been in use since I had it installed last (which will be interesting to see if it [serial number] works considering the last hard drive it was on basically fried!) I will probably have to call MS anyways b/c of that.

Thanks OT for any help! :x:

2. HipHopHead

HipHopHead Well-Known Member

Is you HDD SATA or IDE? If it's SATA you need to dl your mobos SATA drivers onto a floppy or slipstream the drivers into an XP image using nlite. Google it.

3. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

ok...this sounds like the right answer. Can I put the drivers on a flash drive?...also, at what point do I put the flash drive in?

I have always just been able to put in the XP CD and 'have it work' (aka, reformat partition and load new XP) whereas this one is talking about drivers not working etc.

thanks for the answer. I think it will lead me in the right direction though!

4. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

ok...i tried it again. here is the error I got (blue screen of death)

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut dow nto prvent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (oxF78D2524, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x0000000)

Hope that this might help.

5. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

enter bios, look for SATA Configuration or something
    set it to Legacy or IDE emulation mode (other options would be AHCI, RAID)
    you won't need the SATA drivers

6. HipHopHead

HipHopHead Well-Known Member

and no, you cannot load it from a USB drive. I had this exact problem before. I had the same blue screen and everything. Use nlite if you dont have a floppy (like I had to).

7. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

Hey again...Okay...I went with Doomsday's advice in changing the SATA to IDE. Well...great! I now have XP installed, without any drivers (go figure).

What are your recommendations to get drivers installed on my computer. Right now it is not even recognizing the onboard LAN and I cannot get on the internet with it yet.

I have started looking for individual drivers that are compatible with XP. Should I also download the mobo driver in order to get the LAN to work?

thanks for any advice.

8. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

if it is integrated in the motherboard, yes. download it's driver package and everything built in should work.

9. s2k

s2k OT Supporter

go on HP's website and download the drivers.....

10. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

yeah...that's what i thought to do. However, all of the drivers are for Vista and not XP. This is what is causing the issue.

11. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

google or you could try getting the xp drivers direct from manufacturers

12. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Good luck... This is the exact issue I have been reading about with people going from Vista to XP. There may not be any drivers for XP.

What's the model # of the machine?

13. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

it is the HP a6137c

I still cannot get the onboard sound to work. aside from that, it works pretty well. I may just by a pci sound card and call it a day...although I would rather not. let me know if you find anything out.

thanks again OT