XP boots, but only to black screen and cursor

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by phrozenlikwid, Oct 4, 2008.

1. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

A buddy brought me his computer he's been having problems, wanting me to try and fix it.

It's a Toshiba Satellite, running XP. The computer boots to the crash screen, where you can choose safe mode, last known good configuration, or start windows normally. Once you make a selection (doesn't matter which one), it moves to a black screen, with a cursor. Won't go any further than this... No desktop, no nothing. He claims this just appeared one day, but later mentioned something about attempting to install a trial copy of office before the problem.

Worst comes to worst I'll just re-install the OS, but I'd rather not if I didn't have to. Anyone have any ideas on what's going on? I can't get a command prompt, and am at somewhat of a loss.

'ppreciate any help in advance.

2. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Try running a repair from the recovery console.

3. glamdering

glamdering New Member

if your worried about loosing information try doing a reinstall leaving file extensions and then get important things. After that just reinstall os again and that time reformat every thing and put impotent files back on. Or if its a hard drive problem get a new drive.

And if there is important stuff on it you can always send it for a hard drive recovery person.(which my computer business happens to do ;) LOL)

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

What Vanilla said x2.