XM Sirius Satellite Radio?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ChickenH, Mar 31, 2003.

?

is satillite radio worth it?

1. cool

16 vote(s)
    94.1%
  2. junk

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. don't know

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. ChickenH

ChickenH Enita non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem.

I was thinking of buying the Clarion DSH920S http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-dumAwX5sudg/prodview.asp?I=020DSH920S
    Sirius Satellite Receiver for my cars system.. Anyone have XM satilite radio and recomend this?
    its 12 bucks a month plus about 200 for the add on and antenna.

All my CDs keep getting ripped off and im sick of buying new ones, this looks like a good alternative to a bunch of borrowed burned cds from my friends....

cool or junk?

2. Pimp Cat

Pimp Cat Guest

i perfer xm

3. Rick8325

Rick8325 New Member

Why get Sirius?...XM is by far better, has more subscribers, and is more likey to be around 2 years from now......not to mention XM's equipment is better.

check out:
    www.clubxm.com
    www.xmfan.com

4. Leathal

Leathal Zio will eat you for breakfast

I heard that digital broadcast radio is being rolled out soon with most of the restrictions on who can broadcast and who can't lifted. Wouldn't that kill satellite radio? :dunno:

5. Pimp Cat

Pimp Cat Guest

xm comedy kicks ass!

6. ChickenH

ChickenH Enita non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem.

Thanks i appreciate your input. I woulden't want to subscribe or buy equipment for something that is just taken off the air in a year or so.

7. Pimp Cat

Pimp Cat Guest

i dont think it will, xm is owned by directv i think. so its got the financial backing to make it stick around

8. accordfreak93

accordfreak93 Go Preds!

i just recently got sirius and i love it. course the only reason i got it is cause they did a promotional thing and got all the hardware free. only payin 12 bux a month for a year and if i dont like it, try to sell the stuff. i wanted to try and glad that i did. havent touched a cd in a week.

9. B-Lo

B-Lo The new beast mode :x:

I have the same equipment. Sounds good and has COMMERCIAL FREE channels

10. Rick8325

Rick8325 New Member

Enough with this commercial shit! Yes 30-40% of XM's channels have commercials but come on they play 2- 30 second commercials for every 3 hours of non-stop music. I have had XM since December and I have heard about 20 commercials. You wanna pay 2 bucks more a month for that? Besides it is almost gaurenteed Sirius will add commercials when they run into money problems AGAIN. Put it this way XM= 500K subscribers to Sirius= 50K. XM's equipment is better. Delphi radio. Look at the stock quotes, that should tell you something:

XM- $6.00/share
    Sirius- $.60/share

11. B-Lo

B-Lo The new beast mode :x:

Great argument. My sirius works fine and god knows more susbcibers automaticaly makes it better. Xm was marketed better so thats why there are more subscribers. And yes I pay 2 more dollars for no commercials but the only reason I bought the sirius setup was cause I have a clarion sound system(tv, dsp, 12 disc, dvd)

12. XM's good, I always listen to it in the automotive radios display at Wal-Mart.

13. ZeroDeeFeX

ZeroDeeFeX OT Supporter

my friend's dad works for loral, they put up the satellites for sirius and apparently XM has some crap ass satellites which will pretty much all be out in another 4 year's time. on the other hand, sirius is failing and screwing loral over too... so basically you have to choose between a company that is failing and a company whose satellites will all die in a few years.

just gotta hope sirius goes outta business and XM buys all their satellites, haha.

14. Pimp Cat

Pimp Cat Guest

im not worried about xms sats crapin out in a few years. its not like they cant afford more of them

15. Rick8325

Rick8325 New Member

Well I heard different. I heard they will last up to 10-15 years....besides I'm sure they will send up new ones by then, or technology will be so advanced by then NASA would probably send up one huge satelite which all the companies who need satalites can pay to use. Who knows...but this is not something to be worried about.

16. ZeroDeeFeX

ZeroDeeFeX OT Supporter

actually, it is something to be worried about because XM still does not generate enough revenue to buy more satellites after the current crop die. The 10-15 year projected lifespan is a buncha crap they put out so you wouldnt realize how bad things are. sirius is going under but XM BARELY makes enough to survive currently, much less put up all new satellites. their best hope is to still buy out sirius after sirius declares bankruptcy or right before it goes under.

17. Rick8325

Rick8325 New Member

Dude, money is also not a problem. When Sirius runs out of money the US Government will just give them a grant. They would have to because then XM would have a monopoly, thus the reason why XM can't buy out Sirius. The government likes competition and hates when companies fold. When and if XM needs money which I doubt they do when they are getting more and more business partners left and right the government would step in and give them a grant. You seem very uniformed for something you don't even have. Everyone was talking about how cable and satelite tv wouldn't last when it first came out, look at it now. XM has been out for about a year and a half and they're number of subs grow everyday. Give both companies time. Look at the stocks they just started to jump. If you chose not to get it then thats your decision but that don't mean if you don't have it nobody does. XM is very close to hitting they're goal of 1 million subs. And for those who aren't getting it because they don't see the purpose of paying for radio when its free, how come you are all paying for tv when it's free?

Last edited: May 15, 2003
  18. Pimp Cat

Pimp Cat Guest

who gives a fuck. something newer and cooler will be out in that 10-15 years anywyas and we will be doing just like we are now... "who needs cds anymore, i got satellite radio"

19. speed808

speed808 sumbitch

we don't have anything here in Hawaii
    just regular old radio stations

20. 660Rraptor

660Rraptor Guest

I've had sirius since it launched and love it!

21. mzmtg

mzmtg New Member

:werd:

Sirius > XM

22. yoV6cam

yoV6cam Big AL "Boss of The Bosses"

you can't be serious :eek3:
    XM>>>>Sirius

23. mzmtg

mzmtg New Member

Prove it.

24. Pimp Cat

Pimp Cat Guest

paying more just for no ads. does not sound better to me

25. mzmtg

mzmtg New Member

I like Sirius's programming better than XM.

Sirius also has a better satellite system than XM. Sirius only has half as many terrestrial repeaters because that's all they need.