XJ guys, buyer question...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by kellyclan, Jan 29, 2005.

1. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

About to buy a 97 Cherokee Sport 4x4 4.0l with 99k on the clock.

Any common or expensive problems/fixes i should look out for? :wiggle: :cool:

2. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

Not really. Smoke on startup, leaks, etc. :dunno:

3. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

It breaks my heart, but the Corrado is soon to be for sale as well. :sad2:

4. Zimmy76

Zimmy76 I like my beer like I like my violence, domestic

I had a 92 XJ with the 4.0 high output and abused the hell out of the thing, it would still start everytime; my friend did the same with his 96XJ. Depending on how it's already been maintained and how you maintain it should last you another 100K easy.

My 89XJ has 245K on it and still runs--although it could use some TLC. One time in a mag. I saw a 92 XJ with 435K and still on the factory engine, they just changed the oil every 3-5K and did basic maintanice to it.

IMO if you take care of them, they'll last you for a long time. Have any plans to lift it? If you are wanting to keep it close to stock, you could do a 3" lift and 31's, makes the jeep look 10 times better then stock.

5. Redsand187

Redsand187 OT Supporter

I have a 90 LTD with 3.5" rubicon lift and a whole list of stuff done to it. It currently has 155,000 miles on it. Hard miles. My brother used it as his commuter for 50,000 miles in San Diego. It still runs good. Of course the standard parts have been replaced. Starter, a couple alternators... The CPS is still original. They are pretty common problem points but not real bad. The only real thing that is somewhat common and not cheap to fix is the rear end. The Dana 35 has been known to kill it's self in the 100-150,000 mile range. It died around 145,000 in my rig, when my brother still had it. But I'm pretty sure the one you are looking at is a 8.25" so there won't be any problem with that, just make sure the gear oil is maintained.

Oh, and they also are prone to a Neutral Saftey Switch issue. They get dirty and cause the reverse lights not to work, and sometimes cause the Jeep not to start. So it's a good idea to pull it off and clean it.

But otherwise great rigs, no problem going 200,000+ miles.