GUN XD9 compact vs glock 19

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by w1ndsurfer, Feb 14, 2008.

1. w1ndsurfer

w1ndsurfer Member

So it looks like I may be purchasing one of the above in the next few weeks. I have read all of the comparisons I could find (a few dozen) and I'm still curious about what WMD thinks about XD reliability. I'm selling a Taurus PT145 in the process, btw. I have shot the XD45 and I friggin love it, but I'm going for the 9 for more mag capacity as well as affordability. I just can't shoot the .45 as often as I'd like.

Basically, I have read about how there are no SA techs that can service their XD line, and you have to send the entire thing in to fix a problem. That freaks me out as it will be my CCW. I have not shot the 19 yet, but I shot the full size model(17 I think) and I couldn't shoot it worth sh**. I couldn't figure out where the sights were pointing and point shooting didn't work as I wasn't used to the grip angle. I know I likely just need more time with it, only shot ~30 rds before going back to the XD.

Basically: convince me one way or the other. Please! I am planning on the XD at the moment and I love having the grip safety, but I'm not 100%. I like what I hear/know about the reliability of the Glock, too. Can't decide!:mad:

2. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Go for the XD if you shoot better with it. If you had problems with the 17, you'll have the same problems with the 19.

3. onedownfiveup

onedownfiveup Active Member

I have the XD9SC and love it.

4. Lightsped

Lightsped Glockaholic

Very simple, try out both. Buy the one that fits you better. I doubt you would ever have to send either in for service. Buy the one that fits you best.

5. Clingman

Clingman Clingman runs Bartertown.

The part about the techs is true, a friend of mine managed to get his XD locked up as he was reassembling after a cleaning and had to send the whole damn gun in. He sold it after that.

If you have "pointing" issues you may need to fix your grip. Get on the front sight. I'm also pretty adamant that having a gun "fit" you has very little to do with how well you shoot/fight with it. Everyone saw the TR thread with the 11 year old girl running a G19 just fine. Obviously it didn't "fit" her tiny little hands but that didn't keep her from fucking up the bad guy, did it? The G19 is the better of the two, but the XD is a fine handgun. Get yourself a G19 and a set of XS big dots and you will be ready to rock!

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the XD has the worst trigger ever... Go with the glock.

7. Furner

Furner New Member

I wouldnt worry about XD reliability. they are very well built, and while service is limited, it is totally free of charge thanks to a lifetime warranty.

also, they just announced a hybrid service/compact XD. 4" barrel, with the compact grip. takes the 10 round mags as well as the full-size with the magazine sleeve.

8. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

:rofl:

I guess each to his own.

9. w1ndsurfer

w1ndsurfer Member

Hmmm. Thanks for adding to the confusion. I liked the trigger on the XD45, but I wasn't paying that much attention to trigger pull. I was VERY accurate with the 45 compared to my Taurus. As in ~4" group the full length of the range,maybe 40-50 feet, about 2 seconds or less per shot.:hsughno:

As for my grip, I don't have any problem that needs to be fixed. I was simply saying my reflexive point shooting didn't work with the Glock as the grip angle/glock chi was different than my Taurus. No such issues with the XD. As I already mentioned I said I probably just needed range time with the Glock. I think maybe I'll shoot both again, side by side, and see what I think. Like I said it will be a few weeks anyway.

10. w1ndsurfer

w1ndsurfer Member

You know after re-reading this you have a good point. Fix myself, not the *perfect* handgun. I really like the idea of a grip safety but I can live without it.

11. Willie J

Willie J New Member

i have a glock 19 and its a great gun. i've given it hell and then some it keeps going.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

do this and you'll see what I mean:

(obviously do this without a mag, and no round in the chamber)

pull the trigger, and hold it back. Rack the slide. Now slowly release your finger until you hear/feel the trigger reset. Now pull back again... there's a quarter to half an inch of slack before it releases the striker, again.

Do the same thing with the glock and there's no slack... immediate release.

Follow-up shots with the XD are slower and not as accurate as with a Glock.

13. w1ndsurfer

w1ndsurfer Member

Hmmm... best post so far. Thanks for the help, it is much appreciated. I'm definitely going to have to shoot the 19 before I decide.

I think I'm finding myself trying to make the XD sound better(even though it looks, feels better+grip safety) when the Glock speaks for itself. Damn I loved shooting that XD though....:hs: I guess I'll see after I go shooting again.

14. Clingman

I just did 20 draws closing my eyes and then looking at the sight picture. None were more than only slightly off on elevation. Not like that's a valid test anyway because the first thing you do as you punch the gun is get on the front sight.

If you were a marketing person trying to sell a handgun to compete with Glock, what would you tell people? It's gonna be hard to tell them that your product is more reliable than the Glock... "But ours fits your hand better!" :mb:

15. Clingman

Just noticed you're in Tulsa. My family is up there. Next time I'm up I'll get with you and we'll go burn up some ammo.

16. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

I think I might buy one of these too

17. w1ndsurfer

w1ndsurfer Member

That's what I was thinking, actually. I can't really come up with any good excuse to get anything else. Maybe grip safety which doesn't matter or an external safety, which I would like as an option, but past that no one has even tried to claim to be Glock's equal on reliability.

Ummm....not to mention I was checking out the Kel-tec carbine, and, uhhh... it takes Glock mags! After I decide on the handgun I will likely be putting some cash aside for the Kel-Tec. Kinda makes the decision for me I think. As if I really needed any more reasons.:hsd:

18. w1ndsurfer

w1ndsurfer Member

Sure. Shoot me a pm when you're headed this way and we'll set something up.

19. wholefnshow

wholefnshow New Member

Although Glock makes a great product, I've never been a fan personally, hence the reason I don't own one. However, having an XD in my collection, my vote would go for one of those. Personal opinion though, good luck w/your choice.

20. Resin

Resin OT Supporter

s&w m&p .40c

21. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

If it were me making the decision, I like the added grip safety on the XD and I like the Glock Trigger better. I'd do my best to ignore the fact that I hate all the glock sack riders.

Its a personal thing, see if you can shoot both, whichever you like better buy it. Since it is going to be CCW piece you will probably want to see what is around for holster and which is more comfortable. The last thing you want is that small difference in one dimension to mean the difference between not knowing it is there and it jabbing you in the spleen every step you take.

22. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the grip safety is a BAD idea for a carry piece, imo. In the heat of the moment, you need it to go BANG. You don't want to worry about "is my form perfect".

Glock got things right for a carry piece.

23. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I'm pretty sure I might be picking up a Glock 19 in the next month or so to eventually be my carry gun. What are my options for looking online for good prices to compare to what I can find locally?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  24. sneakyjesus

sneakyjesus New Member

buds gun shop, SouthernOhioGun, cdnn, ar15.com's equipment exchange umm.... crap, thats all i can think of. but check those places out.

glock w/ big dots gets my vote.

ps. i've owned both xd's and glocks.

25. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

That comparison I haven't made before, I will try that next chance I get (I need my friend's glock). Firing down range, I am more accurate with an XD though. :dunno:

On the other hand, one can make an arguement that it's because I'm used to my XD's trigger.