GUN XD vs. GLOCK

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by fst89lx, Oct 24, 2004.

1. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

A friend and I are looking into getting new pistols and we have narrowed it down to the springfield XD 5'' or Glock 17.

Tell me the ups 'n' downs of both, which one is more reliable, how they shoot etc.

I would like to get into shooting ipsc and or uspsa soon so that may factor in as well.

2. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Active Member

In my opinion a handgun with a "TRUE" DA/SA action is the only way to shoot competition.

There is something I find missing when I shoot a handgun without a hammer.

A lot of people seem to disagree though.

3. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

:dunno: doesn't really bother me if the hammer is there or not. I don't really mind the trigger/action system on the glocks though, I have shot glock before, not the 17 but I would assume the trigger is the same on all of them, and I thought it flelt fairly light and smooth...

4. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Active Member

Heh squeeze a trigger on a glock and then squeeze a trigger on a H&K SA (always SA after every shot on variant 1s - 95% of H&Ks) and then tell me what you think ;)

5. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Active Member

Try double action on ANY DA/SA pistol ... It's hard for a reason

Pistols without a hammer are a compromise between DA and SA ...

I like the ability to choose :wiggle:

6. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Active Member

Besides shooting IDPA cocked and locked > *

Again some people seem to think different.

7. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Active Member

A Variant 1 H&K is DA/SA .. which means it will shoot DA or SA .. Now after you fire it is always SA, unless you decock it.

I like to have a crisp, light trigger .. and I've never shot a glock, xd or p99 that had one.

Some people don't like light triggers on pistols... I do.

~edit light trigger on SA .. but that's why it's a DA too :big grin:

8. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Active Member

Different strokes different folks... In my opinion you went from a Ferrari to a Honda. :big grin:

9. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Active Member

:mamoru: Ok. All of my H&Ks and every H&K I've ever shot went boom everytime - of course I've never shot crappy ammo out of any of my firearms :fawk:

I have shot hundreds of rounds out of my friend's glock 22 and even more out of a glock 17 and had a few FTFs.. I just hate the triggers..

Here is a glock 22
    [​IMG]

and here are some real handguns
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ibglocksackriders :o

Last edited: Oct 24, 2004
  10. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

:werd: :o

11. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

Whats wrong with S&B ammo? I've heard its a littly dirty but it has always shot good out of my 1911...

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO from what I can decypher so far its glock over XD?? :) lol

12. Ryno

Ryno Gun in hand

I went through the exact same dilemma. Until I shot them both. I fell in love with the XD. It fit nicer in my hand... I liked the trigger... I liked the way it was balanced, I liked everything about it. The glock, while also a very nice gun, had a fatter grip, which I didn't like, and didn't seem balanced as well, therefore I felt like I didn't have control of it as well.

Both guns are gonna last a long time if maintained well, and there is no reason to worry about either one of them failing you in a time of need. But I def. say go for the XD.

People complain about the finish, I have no finish issues with mine at all. Just keep it clean and oiled, and you won't have any problems. And if you are that worried about it... send it away and have it refinished.

Go shoot them both, I think you'll like the XD better.

13. Michael Westen

Michael Westen OT Supporter

I looked at glocks before getting my XD, although the glock has been around for longer, there are almost no complaints from any magazine, or source online, and every gun retailer ive talked to so far says the XD is the best value you can get. Glock is starting to be more of a name, like mercedes etc, nice gun, but there are comparable ones out there that dont cost so much, and that people aren't as biased about.

a glock owner will always tell you glock, my advice is to go shoot a glock, and an XD, my choice was the XD, no regrets, no problems so far at all :)

14. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

I wish I could shoot a fullsize glock and XD but I don't know anyone who owns either and there are no ranges around me that rent guns. Looks like I have a tough decision ahead of me. I have held both guns and I must say that the xd felt more balanced. I also like the loaded chamber indicator and the cock/uncocked indicator on the back.

UPDATE ON S&B AMMO!: Today I was shooting some out of my 1911 and the goddamn thing would get a FTE on the 7th round of all 4 of my wilson combat 8round mags! I would have to drop the mag, dig out the 7th bullet casing and then put the mag back in to fire the last round... WHen I switched to winchester white box, the failures stopped.

Guess its whitebox for me from now on.

15. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

I like my XD.. I think they are equal as far as Quality goes and the XD is almost $100 cheaper

16. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

The XD is a true single action in that when you pull the trigger, you release an already cocked sear. The glock is half cocked. The Glock doesn't like reloads, XD eats them up. Both have gone through extensive torture testing and both have passed. The XD's grip is more like a 1911 in design, Glock is more angled back. Glock's finish is better. The one's I have tested have shot everything fed without 1 failure.

I am purchasing an XD tactical in .45 gap next year for IPSC shooting. Glocks just feel uncomfortable due to grip angle, and HK for a leftie is too expensive for what you are buying.

17. fast94ex

fast94ex Guest

I d/k about that, go to pistol-gear.com there is like10-15 different holsters for the xd and way more aftermarket parts for it than the glock. I hang out on hs2000talk pretty often and the number of people who are really happy with thier xd's far exceed the ones who are not. As far as the finish, if you get the two tone with the stainless slide you wont have a problem, but if you get the blued finish you just have to keep it oiled up. I personnally like how the xd feels better than the glock, although i have not shot the xd. IMO you really cant go wrong with either one, the glocks are awesome and so are the xd's.

18. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

you forgot safariland and milt-sparks.

19. user32

user32 Guest

My vote would be for the Glock. The if you ever go to a competitive shoot it is normally a 50/50 split between Glocks and 1911 style pistols. Ocassionally you see an HK or maybe an XD. The are just not that common. Most of this has to do with the availablitly of aftermarket parts. Most competitive shooters tend to modify their guns (depending on what class they shoot in). There are a ton of aftermarket parts available for the Glocks and the 1911s. The HK and the XD are designed more as a utility pistol. (don't get me wrong they are both great guns, but there is simply not as much aftermarket support for them.

Personally I have a G19 with a Ghost 3.5lb connector and a Short Reset Competition Trigger assembly. My trigger pull on the Glock is crisper and lighter than almost any 1911 I have shot.

20. fast94ex

fast94ex Guest

Damn dude i dont know why youre getting all fired up, i was just saying that there are plenty of parts available for the xd. I didnt say there are more things available for it than the glock i just said that one website had more for the xd's. It doesnt matter who uses what, what matters is how it feels in your hand and how well you shoot with it. Like i said although i have not shot an xd i liked the way it felt in my hand better than the glock, and i shoot pretty good with a glock. I understand you hardcore glock guys will choose nothing but glock, but the fact is the xd is very good competition for the glocks.

21. fast94ex

fast94ex Guest

I hear ya, i definately want a quality piece for CCW as well. So far the only thing i dont like about the xd is the finish. Some people are having problems with surface rust, so basically that means im going to stick with the glock. I have a Ruger P89 and its very accurate and shoots well but after a month or two it will get some surface rust and i hate having to get it off, so ill stay with glock and not have that problem.