Xbox running like crap

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Alerin, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Alerin

Alerin Ruiner

I have a first generation Xbox that's seen A LOT of use since I bought it. Lately it's been running kind of crappy the hard drive makes a lot of the "clicking/grinding/thinking" noises when playing games. Is it possible to pull the harddrive and defragment it without disrupting the OS on it? BTW, it's completely stock. I'll probably need a shopvac to get the dust out of the thing I'm betting.

2. korrupshun

korrupshun New Member

not likely, the thing is that xbox systems have their own modified version of win2k and its married to the HW in the system (ie. without some extra apps and reformatting, you prolly wont get it to recognize in your PC)....not to mention that those noises are usually referred to as death rattles.....if you REALLY want to save your xbox, it might :gasp: be time to mod it (ie. put in a new/larger HDD)

go to xbox-scene.com

and yes modding is legal (YOU own the xbox not MS), the illegal stuff is pirating games and (grey line) using homebrew apps written in the xsdk

3. Alerin

Alerin Ruiner

I'd mod, but then I'd have to get another xbox so I could still play Halo2 live.

4. korrupshun

korrupshun New Member

not exactly accurate, there are chips (like the Xecuter 2.6 lite) that has a switch which allows you to turn the chip on and off....also, theres ways around the recent bannings....i dont play live so im not up on what they are....but there are ways (a friend has done it and plays halo 2 live :ugh: )....point is if dont want to have to buy a whole nother xbox, modding is prolly your only option

5. Muchacho_Gasolino

Muchacho_Gasolino New Member

it could be the dust too you should try that
    my old computer made the worst sound in the world every time i turned it on until after a while it just started shutting off right after i started up and it didnt make the noise
    so i opened it up and figured out the cpu fan was clogged with dust and wasnt starting up right
    i cleaned the rest of the case bought a new cpu fan and it makes nice noises now and runs fine