XBox pisses on the Gamecube

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Sideways, Dec 26, 2002.

1. Sideways

Sideways Do I look like I give a damn?

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/380/380934p1.html

Microsoft's overweight console pulling ahead of Nintendo's bite-sized purple cube.

December 20, 2002 - Xbox executives can pop a bottle of champagne. Apparently, people are diggin' the Xbox. The proof doesn't come from some over-enthusiastic PR spin or anyone's personal numbers. All you need do is take a look at the numbers and you'll see that Xbox is in the midst of crushing the GameCube.

According to the NPD Group, one of the most respected market research firms in the industry, November marked the seventh consecutive month Xbox outsold GameCube in terms of hardware and has outsold GameCube in software in all thirteen months of its existence. Selling nearly 500,000 consoles in November, Xbox nearly doubled its sales numbers from October. Xbox consoles have edged GameCube by 20% in total sales, a considerable gap, especially when you look at the great first-party titles Nintendo has managed to release this year.

In November, Xbox saw it's second best month of software sales to date, with 2.4 million units selling. That's 10% more than the GameCube, but still far below the might of PS2. In terms of GameCube versus Xbox, though, Microsoft's console has sold 34% more software overall than GameCube. The Xbox also maintains the highest attach rate to date for a console that's thirteen months old, with 4.7 games per unit sold.

Further proof of Microsoft's growing dominance over GameCube comes when comparing the two bundle offers. Microsoft's Xbox bundle that comes with Sega GT 2002 and Jet Set Radio Future has outsold the GameCube Mario bundle by 335,000 units or 131%. However, it should be noted that the GameCube bundle is not nearly as widely available, which could contribute to the wide gap.

The GameCube is often saddled with piss-poor ports of multi-platform games and it shows in terms of sales. The Xbox has managed 58% greater third-party sales than GameCube according to Microsoft.

Though Microsoft has yet to come close to the PS2 in terms of installed base, the big MS can take comfort in knowing their online programs has bested PS2 from the get-go. Comparing their first month of sales, Xbox Live outsold PS2 Network Adapters by 14% and the three major Live titles (Ghost Recon, MechAssault, and Unreal Championship) sold over 300,000 copies combined in just the last half of November and managed an astounding attach rate of 80%.

With far bigger titles on the horizon for Microsoft next year and very few big franchises left in Nintendo's bag for 2003, it could be an even merrier X-Mas for Microsoft a year from now. Of course, we'll be back to let you know how this little ol' console war is turning out.

-- IGN

-----------

IB PS2 Fanboys get into a tissy fit and have to go all out to proclaim the PS2 is the greatest thing ever :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I don't even consider the PS2 as competition, it is it's own genre. I own both and they both offer their own niche.

I post this, just to further confirm the Xbox is not going anywhere and is here to stay.

2. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

3. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

I :love: my xbox.

4. DMClark

DMClark Active Member

And I'm not surprised this is happening?

5. Turboed_2

Turboed_2 .

I like my x-box as well, but i'll wait to read a gamecube bashing story from a neutral site, not an xbox site.

6. Mr.Fusion

Mr.Fusion feast upon my magnificence

I love mine even more after getting Xbox Live yesterday :bigthumb:

7. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

:cool:

8. Mr.Fusion

Mr.Fusion feast upon my magnificence

ibxboxdoesntsellinjapan

9. Sideways

:rolleyes:

IGN is a neutral site, not to mention NPD Group is the defacto source of console sales data.

10. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

too bad it's trying to compete with the PS2

11. bb86

bb86 New Member

I didnt know IGN was an Xbox site :ugh2:

12. LurchDawg

LurchDawg Guest

I like cube for what it is, good 4 player action (super smash brothers) and the console that has some of my favorite series (zelda, metroid, etc etc).

I don't view as the end all, and if I had cash to burn on xbox and live, I probably would...

13. Turboed_2

Turboed_2 .

How about if it's not from xbox.ign.com and say...just ign.com? That's what I meant.

Anyways, I think the only reason the X-Box is actually selling right nowis because it's cheap and comes with 2 games. If Nintendo gave away two games with the sales of a GameCube then I'm sure it would sell more too.

14. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo Guest

They're selling lots of XBOX's but they're probably not making that much money on them.

15. Sideways

uhh even with the xbox infront of the IGN, it's still IGN.Com

dosen't mean they are biased towards the Xbox.

16. ast27

ast27 Guest

17. kaldurak

kaldurak Gimme some sugar baby.

how can you say the PS2 is its own genre of gaming?

I like how the article didn't even mention PS2 sales...

regardless, like stated before, if the GC came with 2 games, we would see a sales turnover.

18. Turboed_2

Turboed_2 .

No shit it's still ign.com, but I'm saying if it were on their main page than a biased section of their site like XBOX.ign.com, then I might believe it.

For example, US versus Osama, if you want a neutral side, you probably don't want to go to the CIA website. Now do you understand what I mean?

19. krave

krave Active Member

microsoft will not let their console lose, they will keep dropping the price until its #1 as money isn't really much of an issue to them...they still have a while before they will make any profit off the xbox

gamecube sucks :o

20. Sideways

:rolleyes:

The article dosen't need to mention PS2 sales, because we already know the PS2 is the number 1 selling console.

I don't look at the PS2 as competition, because what is the point of competing with a console that is in it's 3rd year and has the advantage of being out a year ahead. The PS2 is it's own genre, beacause when it came out, it was the only console to buy. There was no competition, you either bought the PS2 or none at only, because there was nothing else to buy at the time.

The only reason why I keep my PS2 now is for GTA and I am already bored with that and haven't played it for over a month now.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2002
  21. MP

MP New Member

PC > ps2 > xbox

22. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

Keep your PS2. In fact, don't sell any of your systems. You'll wind up buying them again. :o

Shit, I'm going out and buying a game. :o

23. Sideways

Give me a fucking break...

Just, because it's XBox.Ign.Com, dosen't mean it's biased towards the XBOX. Ign catergorizes their site into the different consoles instead of dumping the news onto one page.

The same people bringing you the gamecube, PS2 news are the same people bringing you the xbox news.

Your CIA example is lame, because the CIA website is the CIA website, it's not CNN.CIA.GOV or CIA.CNN.COM. The IGN website is the IGN website regardless of the subdomain... IT'S STILL IGN. I don't see how it is biased when the same people review every other console.

24. Sideways

I am so bored with the PS2 I almost traded it for Steel Batallion :big grin: :o

25. bu

bu ²