xbox or gamecube?? what to get?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by chibi, May 31, 2002.

1. chibi

chibi Guest

i dunno what to get.. xbox or a gamecube?? gamecube is cheaper.. and has some games pretty fun games out.. but looking at xbox gfx at bestbuy.. i was totally amazing.. and YES I ALREADY HAVE A PS2.. i just really want another system with other games since the price had dropped recentlly...

so what do you guys think??

should i go for the gamecube or xbox?:confused: :confused: :confused:

2. Gamecube hands down. They have the strongest first party line up as well as some great games on the way in the coming months. Xbox has jack shit.

reasons to get Gamecube:
    Price
    Smash Brothers Melee
    Rogue Leader 2
    Resident Evil (the remake, and the new ones coming out)
    Metroid Prime
    Human size controller
    basically too much shit to list here.

Reasons to get xbox:

3. (^_^)

(^_^) (^_^)

gamecube

4. Madness

Madness Guest

Gamecube :)

5. Kazmont

Kazmont Active Member

Xbox

For no other reason than there is no gayass Smash Brothers Melee.

:fawk:

6. Smash Brothers Melee ownz your ass

7. Kazmont

Kazmont Active Member

I just dont like the goofy feel of the GC controllers. I dont really like the titles out there for the GC. The majority of them are too kiddie oriented. I dont like the look of the GC. I dont like the proprietary discs it uses. I dont like the fact that it doesnt support Dolby Digital. I dont like the fact that you cant play DVDs in it (unless you get the japanese version with the hybrid player).

I guess thats about it. I just like the Xbox becasue it has so much better quality in craftsmanship, graphics, power, and personal enjoyability.

And I REALLY cant stand Smash Brothers Melee at all. I played it a couple times and its just kinda ghey.

8. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Lets not forget that with the X-Box the HDTV support is WAY better then the GCN. (i own both, and th X-Box is noticably shaper, hands down). Plus, with X-Box you will NEVER need a memory card. Unless you save games and custom albums like a fiend, but that would require doing so with purpose. Plus the DVD player in the X-Box is better quality then 90% of the average set-top players out there. Plus Dolby Digital 5.1 output, none of that DPLII wanna be 5.1 stuff (even though DPLII is nice, its no true 5.1).

The X-Box is simply, IMHO, a better gaming experience. And overall value. Plus with X-Box your guarenteed to get the best looking multi platform games avliable, and the only cosole abel to do them in 5.1. THe only thing that GCN has going for it is first and seconed party titles. Theres onyl so long you can milk a franchise before it gets boring.

9. Kazmont

Kazmont Active Member

Good call Buck-O! I love turning on my Xbox and playing NFL2K2 and hearing it in true surround sound! Same with the ambient sounds in Silent Hill 2! That game is creepy. Project Gothem Racing, Amped, Madden 2002, SSX Tricky! All of them are running in surround sound and they sound great!

Question, have you actually used the DVD player for movies? Im considering getting the playback kit and getting rid of my set top. I just want to know if there are any glitches in it.

10. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Yes i have used the X-Box for movies.
    Here about a month ago my denon DVD player took a dump on me, damn TOSLINK burned out (how is beyond me), and i wanted to show someone the difference between the Fifth Element standated DVD, and the Fifth Element Superbit DVD. Well, i didnt feel like rewiring the DVD player into my amp with coax (my PC holds that spot), i just bought the DVD remote for $25, and used the X-Box. All i wanted to do was show him teh audio difference with DTS, and DD5.1. Well, needless to say i had a HARD time telling the difference between my Denon unit, and my X-Box. VERY DIFFICULT! About the only thing i noticed was the imagine alignment on the side of the screen edges was slightly off compared to the Denon. But thats somthing that would change from player to player anyway. I noticed no major artifacting, and no degradation. He was still easaly able to tell the image difference in the Superbit format.
    The X-Box DVD player functions great. It seaks fast, reads smoothly, doesnt make much noise, and all does that looking great. WHen comparing the X-Box DVD playback to the PS2's...its like comparing an ASF file to an mpeg4 file. That dramatic.
    Though, i wouldent be entirely sure about replacing your exsisting unit with the X-Box. What is your current unit? The X-Box is on par with most, but not better then some. Unfortunatly the best way to tell would be to use the DVD kit for yourself and see.

The only grip is that some people (myself NOT included), find the remote to be less then ergonomicly sound. My parents DVD player is an RCA unit, and uses the same remote style. Which is the same style as my brother GE TV remote, which is the same as my friends Zenith remote. So if youve ever used a similar remote, it will be natural to use. Either way is alot more intuative then the PS2 controler for DVD's.

11. bu

bu ²

gamecube has an impressive future lineup of games :)

12. WickedWS6

WickedWS6 Guest

:fawk: both...

13. caddymac

caddymac Guest

14. Kazmont

Kazmont Active Member

right now i have a Toshiba. Its an incredible player but I am in a money pinch and the Toshiba is a few years old anyway. I can sell it for fairly cheap and have enough to get the DVD playback kit for the Xbox and enough left over to pay a bill that i need. :big grin:
    Ive just always been skeptical about using consoles as DVD players. My current DVD player wont play burnt CDs or VCDs so im not losing anything in that dept by switching to the Xbox. I just need a good solid player. Since the Xbox also supports DTS format, that wont be a problem either

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Definitely GameCube :)

16. trez157

trez157 You can't trust freedom when it's not in your hand

Gamecube, I have a PS2 also. Recently got the GC and I like it a lot. R E is dope as well as Rogue Squadron. Go with the GC

17. Kazmont

Kazmont Active Member

Got the DVD playback kit today! This things sounds and looks great! Im duly impressed!

18. Maxvla

Maxvla Guest

the box.

19. JazzHound

JazzHound Guest

This sealed the deal for me (although truthfully, i never entertained the thought of a gamecube). I wonder thought if its possible to change the 5GB harddrive with something abit more 'gutsy'. I've heard people cracking the console to play 'backup' games aswell so this is dedifintely a major bonus.

key kazmot: is gotham racing really good? in terms of graphics, smoothless and delivery of the frames and maneuverability? compare that with gt3 on the ps2 (if applicable) and give me some comparisons. I might pick a XB sometime this summer. :yum:

20. Kazmont

Kazmont Active Member

GT3 is a really fun game to play but I like PGR better. I have never been a fan of the PS1 or 2. Nothing has ever really drawn me to it. I couldn't really get into GT3 but 2 - 3 of us sit and play PGR for hours without getting bored! Its a trip. Its really all about personal preference. Go rent them both and try them out first. Go with what you like. :big grin:

21. Rick

Rick New Member

XBOX

22. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Glad to hear you liked the results of the DVD playback performance. Seeings as how your financial situation is the way it is, yeah shoot for the X-Box. :bigthumb: glad it worked out for you.

I personally think that PGR is a tad bit more fun then GT3. When i want some serious racing i play GT3, when i want to have some fun, i play PGR. PGR is definatly a more fun group game. Cause its all about DORIFUTO TIME! Gotta love it.

Have fun with your X-Box man.
    And for the record, ill never have a LameCube in my home...

23. mastermojo

mastermojo Guest

Definitely get the X-Box for 3 reasons -
    1.Unreal Championship
    2.Project Ego
    3. Kick Ass online play this fall

24. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Your avatar says it all.

25. breathe

breathe Guest

I would only get a gamecube if it was the Panasonic Gamecube, it can play DVDs as well...so much better than the Nintendo version...and for all you that say its only sold in Japan, I just saw it at the Virgin Megastore in Vegas yesterday, so it does exist in the US.

XBOX is the better choice if you are going for just the regular GC. It is only $50 more, can play DVD's, better graphics, faster, built in hard drive...etc...