Xbox 360 demos were running on G5's!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by agent0068, May 21, 2005.

1. agent0068

agent0068 OT Supporter

2. Skoles

Skoles Guest

That is going to make for one kick-ass emulator. :)

3. inamorata

inamorata New Member

hahahahaha talk about :bowdown: to apple :rofl:

4. asiandoood

asiandoood New Member

I was thinking the same thing when they announced they were using the same processors.

5. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

damn son :bowdown: of course, microsoft will never license to Apple, at least I doubt it

but damn... the implications here are staggering. does that mean that there is D3D for PPC now? :eek3d: :eek3d: :run: :noes:

6. Snotfist

Snotfist I am the Urban Cowboy.

Apple doesn't make the G5, IBM does.

:nono:

7. turbo91

turbo91 New Member

I think it's the principle of the matter...the real question is what OS were they running :)

8. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

:ugh: PowerMacs were running the games. Also, it's a huge big up to Apple because that very likely means that the 3D software architecture for traditionally "PC" games (direct3d, etc.) has been ported to the PPC series of chips. As I said in my earlier post, that is fucking HUGE for Apple if true, because it practially eliminates the "energy barrier" to porting games from PC to Mac :x: :x: :bowdown:

Last edited: May 21, 2005
  9. falconbrad

falconbrad "You're one angry white boy."

They're not using the same processors. They're using PowerPC processors (same family), but not the G5.

10. SailFastLiveSlow

SailFastLiveSlow I am the milk man. My milk is delicious. Special d

so those weren't two powermac g5 towers in the pictures then?

11. inamorata

inamorata New Member

either way they still had the powermac towers :fawk:

12. inamorata

inamorata New Member

they were, dont listen to those retards

13. falconbrad

falconbrad "You're one angry white boy."

I'm not disputing the fact that the demos were running on G5s. I'm saying that the XBOX360 will not use G5s.

14. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

Does no one see the stupidity in being proud that a $3-5,000 dual processor workstation is being used to emulate a sub $400 game console?

Show me a iMac G5 pushing the game and I'd actually be impressed.

15. inamorata

inamorata New Member

and you know for a fact that both towers were running one system?

maybe the G5 were running all the systems at once?

stfu

im willing to bet that a friggen ibook could run an xbox360 demo :o

16. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

Unless Apple figured out a SLi setup, there's one G5 box per screen in those pictures. It also appears they didn't do a very good job at running those games either...at least on the graphics hardware side.

I'm not in here just bashing Apple. I'm cross shopping for a Powerbook actually right now if I can find out enough about VPC on them (software developer for a Microsoft-centric company). I've been a fan of some of their stuff for a long time but it bugs me seeing people blindly gushing about Apple for things that aren't necessarily positive for them.

MS pushing PPC G5 hardware into the sub 500 range erodes some of the G5's price premium if nothing else. Why do I want to spend $4000 for a decent G5 setup when Microsoft gives you 50% more processor in a game console for $400? There are some benefits like easier game porting and market share but Apple loves their premium/status symbol image and I think this could hurt it a bit.

17. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

you do realize that microsoft actually loses money on each console sold in order to get you on the platform and buying the games and accessories, where they actually do make money, right?

18. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

I know the console is a loss leader. But ask yourself how much Microsoft can actually lose on a box before no number of games can make up for it. Even if the box costs $1000 to make, it's still far less than what they're using in PowerMac hardware to run.

19. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

:hsugh: considering your background in computer architecture, that's a pretty ignorant statement to make. The PPC cores powering the Xbox360 are not derivative of the Power5/970 series architecture of the G5; they are significantly different architectures. No one would reasonably expect those machines to perform as the console itself would.

education: http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/cpu/xbox360-2.ars

20. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

p.s. sorry to bump an old thread :o

21. Skoles

Skoles Guest

Let's say MS was using the same G5 chips as Apple. MS is just paying for the chips themselves and the rest of the console is custom.

So yes, those chips probably cost a couple hundred dollars each. That $3k MAX machine (since there is no $5k Mac) comes with an OS and software. That's where Apple makes its money, hardware.

22. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

Never said that it was the same architecture. I said that those who claim their G5's are impressive b/c it can emulate an xbox are misguided in their bravado. I did use the assumption from some others in this thread that the G5 would be able to emulate a 360 very well when the article stated otherwise. I said I would be impressed by an iMac running xbox games which is more an attack on the relatively high price of G5 systems. Using that assumption I made the argument that their relatively expensive general use computers made quite terrible gaming consoles while the Xbox 360 might make an impressive inexpensive general use gaming console.

Direct3D...being a graphics card API was always more focused on the graphics processor than anything with processor. But unless Microsoft writes the Direct3D library for MacOS compiler, I think it might still be further away than you'd like. Being based on COM, it uses enough proprietary dll's that you' be better off just developing in OpenGL. nVidia's embraced OpenGL and their Cg language for OpenGL is pretty cool and widely ported. It's more likely they'd port a version of Windows or borrow heavily from their Windows library in the design of the OS for the 360 which wouldn't benefit MacOS at all since Microsoft would still love to keep Apple's marketshare down.

Some mac users claim the G5 emulator as a validation that their computers are somehow superior to Wintel technology. I simply countered that their general use computers made poor emulators...especially for the price. I never said anything's wrong with the PPC architecture other than the G5's power consumption.

23. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

fair enough. I was just pointing out that the difference between chip architectures is significant, and ripping on the G5 for performing poorly as a console is not really a valid assertion.

Also, I don't know that Microsoft really has any vested interest in keeping Apple's marketshare -- Apple's desktop computers don't directly compete with any of their OSes or software, by nature.

At any rate, that article I posted is an excellent read. :bigthumb: