SRS Xanax users, how do you deal?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by bunnyblueeyes, May 7, 2008.

1. bunnyblueeyes

bunnyblueeyes New Member

Anyone have any advice on how to deal with xannie addictions, withdrawals and quitting? Looking to help a friend :( Wish I knew more about it on a personal level but it's not one that i've dealt with before...

2. bunnyblueeyes

bunnyblueeyes New Member

Wow, thats serious. Glad you made it thru the tough time! The more i read bout it online, the more amazd I am, never thought of it as a serious drug to try and quit, apparently one of the hardest! even more so than heroin! most don't suggest tryin to quit cold-turkey but instead to decreas intake and than switch to somethin else thats easier to drop off of! thanks for respondin :)

3. bunnyblueeyes

bunnyblueeyes New Member

Thats good to kno, cuz that is the range that they are in...they've asked for my help but at the same time it doesn't seem that they want to go thru the difficult process...how did you decide? I'm trying to be supportive w/o pushing them into it cuz a big part of it, i think, is that you have to want to quit...and i don't know if they really want too :/ but we all have our addictions to somethin :) sad but true

4. Ky1e

Ky1e New Member

The way I thought about it was I can either use again now and continue the cycle, or I can battle it out for a week or so and then start feeling normal again.

5. bunnyblueeyes

bunnyblueeyes New Member

Thats how I feel, did it just take a week? did you take/have anything/anyone to help along the process? or is it better to go it alone? :/

6. gnat

gnat New Member

My fiance still takes xanax but she needs it. She used to take too much of it and now she's down to about .5-1mg a day or every other day. When she would be out of them though it would take about 3-5 days maybe even a week before she would really start to feel bad from it. She would start getting nausea, headaches and be really cranky and overall sick feeling. Now that she's dropped her dose as much as she has it's not much of an issue because she doesn't run out. I've always had a script of klonopin or xanax for quite a while but since I was using opioids already I didn't want to get started on two addictions/dependencies and just didn't take them.

Good luck with your friend.

It's important to note that benzo withdrawals can be dangerous and can even result in siezures, so if he gets real sick then don't be afraid to seek medical help.

7. bunnyblueeyes

bunnyblueeyes New Member

Thanks! Thats the part that worried me when researching was the physical withdrawals are severely dangerous. I've been addicted to things before, helped others off their addictions but this one was new to me and I never realized the extent of Xanax till I read all about it and talking to others who have used it. Thanks for the advice, I'm trying to gather as much information from any aspect to make the transistion off of it as easy as possible cuz I love him and hate to see someone go thru this. Good luck to you and your wife as well in all that you do! Prepare for the worst but hope for the best!! Boyscouts have the best motto on life!

8. lazyass

lazyass New Member

if i have been clean for 2 years, but have had two relapses during that period, am i clean for two years or from the last relapse?

9. O'Fuck

O'Fuck Guest

I thank god Xanax never hooked me.

I always keep my bottle with me for the panic attacks. I used to need at least one a day. They were very low dose.

But for at least 6 months I haven't been having the attacks. I don't think I'd taken one in almost that long. But last wednesday my dog (who's like a brother to me :o) was undergoing surgery, and I was a fucking wreck. So I popped one.

And I remembered why they never appealed to me. I laid there for 4 hours mostly sleeping. Got up and ate, and then laid there the rest of the day. I never understood why people do something for fun that just makes them tired. But I understand how serious an addiction they are for some people, so I guess I was just lucky that they seemed so incredibly boring.

Best of luck to your friend.

10. delay pedal

delay pedal Guest

after a while i think they stop making you so tired once you build up tolerance and then they just kind of mellow you out a bit, instead of flooring you

im the same way though, i had a scrip and only took one years back

11. swordfish

swordfish New Member

I think the devil himself invented xanax def the worst addiction possible(coming from a guy who had a 300+ a day dope habit)

12. GooeyGus

GooeyGus I has Laz0rz.

Just make sure that your friend isn't taking too high of a dose every day. Also, if the person has any history of seizure it is HIGHLY recommended to get into a professional detox facility. Well, I recommend the professionals either way, but xanax and other benzodiazepines are very dangerous to come off of in high doses. The withdrawal symptoms can and do cause seizures and death.

13. k1ko

k1ko OT Supporter

lol all my friends call it the devil's drug