X800XT AIW AGP card..should i do eeet?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SW20 Nick, Mar 22, 2005.

1. SW20 Nick

SW20 Nick my avatar is cuter than urz

tax return is about to hit me :wiggle:

i currently have a dimesnion 8200 1.8, im planning on getting an AMD 64 (homemade) in the next 4-5 months; i have a geforce 2 and its my biggest bottleneck.

i want to get the x800; should i wait till there is a PCI express version of the x800xt AIW and get a PCI-xpress mobo or should i just get the AGP card and get an AGP mobo in the new comp too?

2. ecmoman

ecmoman New Member

PCI express it the wave of future. AGP is slowly going away. Does that answer your question. If you're gonna shell out that much $$ on a X800 AGP, why not step up to a X850 PCI for the same or lower price.

David

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

why do you want a card that will be obsolete next year? The GeForce 6800GT/Ultra will not be.

4. SW20 Nick

SW20 Nick my avatar is cuter than urz

plz go into further detail

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

plz search... it has been covered many times.

the just of the argument is that the NV6 cards support many features that the ATiX cards do not have... such as the latest version of pixelshader. Currently these features arn't used very heavily, but will become more and more crucial as games advance. nVidia is ready for this, and ATi is not... Which product do you want, now?

6. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

It depends I've been thinking about buying this card as well.

As jolly said the Nvidia offerings currently offer more graphic wise but if you're anything like me and want the all in wonder features, meaning not having a seperate tuner you might consider buying it. Though it is $479 right now i'd probably wait for the price to come down some.

I know people will say PCI-X>AGP (and thank you for pointing out the obvious) but if you don't have plans to upgrade your mobo for two or three years it's still a good card to pickup.

Just depends on your use.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it is also noteworthy that ATi AIW functions are notoriously lame when compared to a decent TV tuner/capture card... You're much better off grabbing the nVidia GF6 GT/Ultra card and a Hauppage PVR-150.

8. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

True but not everyone is looking for the best of everything ;)

I've heard switching channels is slow with their new tuner :hs:

9. frostedfrank

frostedfrank OT Supporter

only with the latest drivers i dunno what happened but with the 4.12 and 3.1 there was no problem

10. Poon

Poon New Member

PCI-E AIW X800XL $399 (I'd get this one)
    PCI-E AIW X800XT $499
    Both are coming soon

Last edited: Mar 26, 2005
  11. jag6984

jag6984 New Member

I think that shader model 3.0 support is overrated for the NV6 cards. After seeing some of the framerates even with 2.0++, I realize that support is one thing, and doing it well is another.

I'd say if a lot of HL:2 is your thing, than definately go for the ATi, otherwise I'd probably stick with a 6800GT

12. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

Yeah, and you also get shit end-of-life driver builds!

The latest drivers are already worthless on the GeForce4 Ti series, due to a fan shutdown issue.

GeForce 2 support is also crap!

ATi's Radeon/7xxx/8500/9700 lines still have good support.

Also, nVidia makes new drivers whenever. ATi makes new ones monthly.

As for saying that card will be worthless in a year, drug free's the way to be!

13. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

OK a few things:

First, an X800 will not be obsolete next year compared to any other current generation hardware. The fact that it supports PS 3 doesn't mean it performs worth a damn (already been said). That's like saying an FX5200 is a legitimate current-gen DirectX card...sure It'll run DX9 games, but have fun with the slide show.

Next, ATi cards are faster at Direct3D (HL2), Nvidia at OpenGL (Doom3). Its been this way for some time and I don't see it changing soon.

A minor point: PCI express is PCI-e, not PCI-X....PCI-X is an extended 64-bit PCI bus, based on standard 32-bit PCI. PCI-X is generally seen on server/workstation boards and is not what your video cards plug into.

PCI express offers up no real-world performance increase over AGP 8x in almost all cases since the bandwidth of AGP 8x isn't even fully utilized in nearly all situations. Same goes with the difference with PCI-e 8x and 16x. It's fine to get into PCI-e, since it does have a brigher, longer future than AGP, but don't expect a performance bump vs. the same GPU in an AGP slot.

AIW features put ATI alone in this particular segment...sure a 6800 + Haupage will be better but It'll take 2 slots, and punch a more sizable hole in your wallet.

Edit: Awesome AV Freespace :bigthumb:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2005
  14. Poon

Poon New Member

15. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

what AV?

16. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

Yeah, I'm saving up for a Lifetime subscription :).

17. R-Type

R-Type The Bydo Empire must die!

1. nvidia's drivers are generally more stable and mature. Sure there are people who swear by ati's drivers as well, so this is little more than subjective opinion from my experiences with both vendors.

2. the nv6 gpus are right on par with (and usually a little faster than) ati's latest offerings in most games. Buying a video card for one specific game is foolish anyway.

3. if you do (or plan to) the linux thing for a desktop OS, nvidia is really the only way to go if you want decent 3D support in X11. ATI's drivers are still maturing, but they don't hold a candle to nvidia's atm.

4. The performance impact between AGP models and PCIe 16x models are almost nill as today's cards and games/apps are almost always GPU bound. Some benchmarks have shown AGP to be slightly faster due to lower latencies...again though, the difference was maybe 1%. Decide what slot you need based on how long you plan to keep your existing motherboard. By the time the bandwidth merits of PCI-e become apparent, AGP (and your system) will be long antiquated.

5. If you're buying a new system in the next 4-5 months, then definately hold off buying a card until then. You'll probably end up with PCI-e and you'll get a chance to take advantage of the video hardware 'summer refresh.'

6. [email protected] 'av' :bigthumb: Those games kick ass.

18. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

OH MY FUCKING GOD!

You've actually played the FreeSpace series?!

The only people I've found online that have played it besides OffTopic were on John Romero's GameTalk forums.

FreeSpace 2 still looks beautiful, 5 1/2 years later. My all time favorite game.

19. R-Type

R-Type The Bydo Empire must die!

Yup..The first kept me entertained summer of 97 or 98, and FS2 was my after-work binge in 99-2000. I still install and load 'em up every so often.. I never got around to trying out PXO though.
    Btw, they released the source code to the FS2 engine awhile back and there is an ongoing project that's updating gfx and such..

http://scp.indiegames.us/news.php

Let's not hijack this thread though..if you want to talk about it, pm me or start another thread.

20. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

Add me to the FS2 cult list. :)

X800XT AIW will play it nicely, no doubt :mamoru: