x800 vid out. Component over s-video?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by FyreDaug, Jun 27, 2006.

1. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Ok so ive got an x800 and I used to use svideo for display on my 50" widescreen and I got a component converter (plugs into "s-video" port on the card) and a component cable. Unfortunately my tv doesnt do 720p so the best ive got is 480p. However, I noticed an improvement in quality. The text is now readable on VLC player and the colors of my skyline wallpaper look more distinct and vibrant. But im questioning the improvement over svideo for mpg/avi files.

Something is telling me YES is looks better, but I may be just expecting it to be.

The files are 640x480 so atleast its a real 480 video.

Is there actually a quality difference between the 2 on videos? I keep thinking yes, and component>svideo so i keep on thinking its a yes.

Like I said, the text in VLC is now readable and thats a huge plus, but will the small text at the bottom of vids looks better too? Like subtitles or something?

Its a pita to switch it back to svideo because ive got to configure things, so instead of dicking around with it and possibly losing signal to my monitor (long story, couldnt get the monitor back up kept saying out of range).

So uhhh...
    CLIFFS: switched from svid to component from x800 card to hdtv, noticed quality improvement on bg wallpaper and text in VLC... wondering if theres a difference in video quality at 640x480?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

should be.

3. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

yeah it SHOULD be.... hmm, what does svideo support? 480i? ill go check it out

4. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Well Ive learned that 480p isnt svideo... and from what im understanding is yes it is 480i... anyone correct?

So """""technically"""" im getting twice as good resolution if its updating it twice as much