COMIC X-Men - Can someone explain Astonishing, Uncanny, Ultimate, Unlimited, X-Treme . . .

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by tolomei, Mar 18, 2009.

1. tolomei

tolomei Leaving Las *****-Vegas

I've been reading a lot of Vertigo, but wanted to jump back into the X-men. However there are like a million different versions. Could someone explain the differences or recommend a series?

2. Tikiman

Tikiman The Internet has left me in despair.

Well Ultimate exists in its own universe. It was Marvels way of kind of rebooting all their major books for newer readers without effecting the main comics.

I think all of the others just follow different X-men teams. Astonishing, at least the first run, I think kinda stood on its own and didnt connect to the other books but I might be wrong on that. The first run was really good still.

I am sure someone else will be able to go into a bit more detail about each. I have not read any Xbooks in a long time.

3. kelvs

kelvs OT Supporter

Astonishing seems to be like a run on it's own with no crossovers with current Marvel storylines.

Uncanny's the current run with the current Marvel storyline.

At least that's how I see it. :dunno:

4. Crunks

Crunks Active Member

Like kelvs said, Astonishing tends to be an independent, tightly within the X-Universe telling it's own story.

Uncanny is the flagship X-title, all major shit goes on there. Lead by Scott and Emma.

X-Force is the black ops team, the gritty, gory, edgy shit. Lead by Wolverine.

X-Men Legacy was formerly the adjectiveless, lead X-Men book, but has since turned into a book about Professor X recovering from the Messiah Complex arc.

X-Factor is Multiple Man's book about his investigation firm in Mutant Town. Really underrated book, check it out.

X-Men Unlimited, as far as I remember, was just a bunch of one-shots, stories that didn't really concern continuity.

X-Treme was the main X-book in the late 90's/early 00's I believe.

5. CabbieNamedAxel

CabbieNamedAxel OTCC|SF OT Supporter

Which one is the Claremont one? X-men Forever?

Also, X-Men Noir is like a 30's version of the x-men.

6. tolomei

Any opinions on Ultimate?

7. Tikiman

Tikiman The Internet has left me in despair.

I only read the first 20 issues or so, I had picked up the first few TB of Ultimate X-men and Ultimate Spiderman and liked Spiderman more so when with that, and it was pretty good. I have heard alot of people dislike it. Or at the least do not think it is all that good.

8. Mr Coffee

Mr Coffee New Member

X-Men Forever being the new line he's doing which basically reintroduced all the Claremont characters, concepts and story-lines. It'll be a mini-universe of it's own i hear. Majority of his story-lines were in Uncanny X-Men. I've been downloading 'em all and putting 'em up on Warskrull one of these days so you can check it out for yourself.

He was quite awesome for his time, really. It's worth checking out.

It's sort of decent in the beginning, gets through some shit, becomes somewhat decent at around 40ish, then with the whole Phoenix shit was a big let down (Fucking gremlins?!) and then the Apocalypse story which happened sort of during and before was quite good.

It's a mixed bag really.

9. void

void oh yeah?

Mark Millar's first arc was amazing. The second and third arcs were pretty good too. The little one shots were cute, but the rest of it was CRAP. Return of the King was written around issue 40-50 and it gave the title a MAJOR boost (written by Brian k Vaughn - Y Last Man writer). Then Robert Kirkman took it over and it's sucked ever since, he never could get a grasp on the characters and/or do what he wanted with them. It just goes to show you how good a writer is using his own properties like Invincible and Walking Dead, compared to how shitty he is writing company owned properties.

10. void

void oh yeah?

If you've been reading Vertigo books, you should definately check out X-Factor. Gritty, dark, noir-ish crime stories with b-list mutants. Peter David made them awesome. Not only one of the best X-books, but one of my favorite comic books in my pull list.

11. tolomei

12. Crunks

Crunks Active Member

I didn't like the character designs :rofl:

So... I didn't really read too many issues, just ones that had a Spider-Man cameo or shit like that

13. tolomei

Thanks for the breakdown.

Read a few issues of X-Force last night. :bowdown: I'll try X-Factor later this week.

14. Jesterkiller

Jesterkiller ever dance with the devil in the pale moon light?

its terrible now (think they just finished due to ultimatum). i loved it up until after return of the king. last couple story arcs hurt it badly :hs: