MMA x guard

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Ricey McRicerton, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

X guard is by far the most awkward, strange position I've ever tried out. We've been working on it this week in class, and there isn't a single thing that I feel comfortable doing. :hs:

Any advice other than to just drill it? I'm deep under his legs, have his leg on my shoulder (not in the crook of my arm) and have my hooks in right, but it just feels really really awkward and I even have a hard time scooting down under to get there.

2. $lacker

$lacker FD/Dental/Canadian/Cage Crews OT Supporter

Pic first, then thread

3. Ricey McRicerton

Of X guard? If you don't even know what the position is, how the hell are you going to help me?

4. Shrug

Shrug Die in a Kimbo fight

are you still new @ bjj?

no offense intended either way just curious because ive always regarded x guard like rubber guard etc, fancy and unnecessary unless you're one of the people out there who its comfortable for. :o

besides that i have no idea how to do it right :hs:

5. Ricey McRicerton

I've been doing it about 18 months and the teacher at my gym is just doing a new guard position each week this month to try and get us a little more comfortable in all of them. We've done open, butterfly, sitting up, and now X, and X is by far the worst for me. I'm not in any hurry to mix it into my real game, but for me it really feels like I'm doing this one wrong, even though it looks texbook.