GUN Wyoming Carry law question

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Section8, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Section8

Section8 .

I'm researching handgun laws in prep for a road trip in november and I can't figure out wyoming's transport law.

"Anyone who can legally own a firearm can carry it anywhere inside a vehicle loaded or unloaded as long as
    it is not concealed on your person. Wyoming law states that you can not carry a concealed firearm without a
    permit. There is no Wyoming law about carrying inside your vehicle."

Now, WY doesn't honor my VA CCW, and i don't require any VA permit to own a handgun, but apparently WY does. So i'm a bit confused by the statement above. does "Anyone" refer to WY residents only, or is it truly anyone? SInce they don't issue non-resident permits and don't honor my CCW, could i conceivably get in trouble just for transporting my hand gun unloaded and out of reach through the state? I'd call the State Police but if they're anything like VA State Police I already know more about their gun laws than they do.

2. Section8

Section8 .

oh a side note, holy fail Illinois gun control :ugh:

3. Section8

Section8 .

Well according to Opencarry.org, WY has no restrictions.

4. halflife78

halflife78 OT Supporter

I drove from Georgia to Arizona through Utah to Colorado to Wyoming to South Dakota down through Iowa, Missouri, and then the shithole you mentioned Illinois.

As far as I am aware you can carry a pistol in the car as long as it's not concealed on your person and you don't have any type of record not allowing you to possess one. I carried my FN 57 with us across the country in our car and the only place I broke it down was in the national park. Fuck Illinois, I carried that bitch loaded right through there and in my hotel anyway.

And your other question, carrying the ammo in the front of the car in the glove box and the gun itself in the trunk is considered legal tranportation of the firearm in the event they aren't allowed due to law, I did this in the national parks and that is what the sign specifically in a couple said.

I would call Wyoming state patrol, I did that for Texas because their laws on conceal carry in the car confused me.

5. Section8

Section8 .

Yeah, this is kind of what I was thinking. The wife wants to stop in Chicago on either the way out or back so I'm forced to go through Illinois.

I'll give Wyoming State patrol a ring and hopefully they'll be able to answer the question.

6. striker754

striker754 Chillin

How is this an issue? It says "Anyone who can legally own a firearm". If you can legally own a firearm you can do whatever comes after that statement.

7. nicklk

nicklk New Member

You can carry your weapon in your vehicle as long as its not concealed on your body. IE, you've got it in the holster in your pants, leg holster, etc. It must be off your body. And as far as I know it can be concealed in your vehicle, like slide down the side of your center console, or door pocket, or your glove box etc.

8. nicklk

nicklk New Member

Wyoming is very conservative about gun rights. If you get pulled over in the state, just notify the officer that you have a weapon in the vehicle....just as you would in your state with your CCW permit

9. Section8

Section8 .

thanks man :)

10. nicklk

nicklk New Member

'yer welcome! :bigthumb:

11. GearHead

GearHead Active Member

Wouldn't Peaceable Journey apply here?