WEB WWW-Authenticate

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by babygodzilla, Nov 15, 2007.

1. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

i have very little knowledge about HTTP headers, so I hope some leet webmaster in here can help me out with some pointers.

im playing around with the del.icio.us API in Java. they have a URL that is accessed through HTTPS to, among others, add a post into your account.

So I can retrieve the URL, but now I'm getting a 401 everytime I send it. I know nothing about security, so I'm not sure what the best way to do this is supposed to be. I'm trying to execute

Code:
    https://userName:[email protected]/v1/posts/add?url=http%3A%2F%2Ftest.com&description=Summary+Test+%24+%25
    but i keep getting

what is the correct way to do this? how do i send over the username and password?

Thanks!

2. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

That all looks right maybe its a UN/PW

3. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

im sorry, what?

4. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

username/password ...

5. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

lol no i know what UN/PW means, but i didnt know what the poster was trying to say with that one line. what did he want me to do with the UN/PW?

it's ok, I got it to work. had to add some HTTP headers :)

6. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

ok now ive got that working with BASIC authentication. how do i authenticate to a URL using MD5 authentication? i have my code working with Basic authentication.

how do i know what that delicious API expects in the MD5 hash? am i supposed to hash the username+password, just like i did with Basic auth? ive also seen code that hashes the username+password+realm. what do i hash?

secondly, what HTTP Headers do i send? when using Basic i sent the Authorization header, with the value "Basic <encrypted username+password here>"
    i probably wont do that cause im not using Basic. so what DO i use? which HTTP Header? there's a whole slew of em. there's Content-MD5, for example, do i have to use that? probably, but what else?

thanks

7. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice