wtshit is up w/my computer v.itrandomlyrebootsandthenwontbootup

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Neuman, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Neuman

Neuman New Member

jesus this is annoying...

a couple days ago i was just hanging out on my computer, surfin the net, jammin some tunes. all of the sudden the screen goes black. my computer just rebooted itself....and it wont fully boot back up. it either freeze on the "your computer shut down improperly" screen...or reboots itself again while the "windows xp" logo shit is up. after leaving the computer off for about 5 minutes, and turning it back on, it boots up like a charm...

originally i though...hrmm...maybe a virus...i really dont fuckin know. i ended up formatting just cause i thought it would be the "end all fix all" way to go about things.....but, it's still doing it.

maybe its a hardware issue? decided to unplug all of my "accessories" pluged into the back (printer, webcam, s-video out, etc.). nah, still doin it. checked the cpu temp...under 100 degrees....put bios back into "setup defaults" mode. still fucking doing it!!!

i honestly have no fucking idea what is going on....anyone else ever have issues like this?

winxp pro
    athlon xp 1700+
    asus a7v8x board
    768mb of ddr-2700 kingston goodness
    geforce 4 ti4200 video card
    seagate baracuda 40 gig, and 80 gig...

durr...i think that covers all my bases..

thanks for any help!
    zach

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

could be overheating... did you install all your drivers properly? Chipset drivers, for example.

3. Neuman

Neuman New Member

yeup...no errors in device manager...and like i said cpu temp is below 100 degrees....

edit...and the drivers being installed correctly doesnt make sense because the same thing was occuring before the format...and i had that OS goin for a couple months....

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

could be thermal issues then, and btw, improperly (or not at all) installed chipset drivers will not trigger anything in device manager.

5. Neuman

Neuman New Member

word...well, all i can say is that i installed all the chipset drivers off of the mobo cd immediately after the format...i will check it out though.

6. Neuman

Neuman New Member

now if this makes any less sense...i've narrowed it down.

my computer only reboots itself...And will not successfully boot back up...when it is connected to the internet via. the campus network...

but...as soon as you you plug in the network cable, bam it reboots.

i thought it may have been the CPU load caused by this...but w/out being connected to the network, i can open a bunch of apps, listen to music, etc. w/out a hesitation...

7. C-Lord

C-Lord New Member

I would try just booting with 1 stick of memory see if it still happens... Then try flashing your bios to updated version

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

either a network card/driver issue, or you have a trojan/back-door of some kind, and it's reacting to a certain (type of) packet.

9. Neuman

Neuman New Member

hrmm....well....i got on my lappy and got onto the "resnet" help site....and downloaded the sp2 upsdates...and some other shit. installed that, and strangely enough, it hasnt happened since.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

SP2 includes a firewall... so it is likely a trojan/backdoor is running.

11. Neuman

Neuman New Member

but i dont see how that is possible if i just formatted it...

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

trojans/backdoors/worms spread over a network... how can you not see that as a posibility?!?

13. Neuman

Neuman New Member

because i have a firewall up....and no shared folders...and when originally posting my system had less then 24 hours on it since the last full format.

did an online virus scan today off the trend micro site...nothing came up. exclimation mark exclimation mark exclimation mark