WTFshinsplints

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by chizzle, Aug 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chizzle

chizzle New Member

So I posted about my shin splints about a month ago. I've taken a break from running...it's been about a month and I stopped feeling the pain in my shins throughout the day, so I tried running again the other day (very very low intensity run mind you) and I almost crumbled under the pain!

WTF?!?

Cliffs: No shin pains, at all, on a normal basis...but crippling pain when running...

Crippling is exaggerating the pain, but it hurts like a bitch.

2. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

thats the terrible thing about shin splints. i think i remember your thread, did you get new running shoes? arch support, arch suppost, arch support. when I was in full training for football i'd have to buy new running shoes every 6-8 months. the shoes looked fine but the support was gone. i'd get a new pair and the splints would be gone.

if that doesnt work ask a trainer to show you the proper way to tape and ankle, that might help. remember motrin and remember the paper cups filled with water and frozen. peel em back and massage the shins

3. Pork Chop Sandwiches

Pork Chop Sandwiches Extraordinary Member

I had the same condition about a year and a half ago. Though I never confirmed it with a doctor's visit, I suspected it was a stress fracture. I'd say that's what you have, especially if you felt the pain throughout the day. When I had shin splints, I only felt them when running and shortly thereafter.

The only thing I can recommend is trying to get cardio some other way, such as biking or the Eliptical. My stress fracture took about 6-8 months to heal completely. I didn't go completely without running during that time, I'd try to get back into it then it would start hurting, and I'd stop. I waited a little longer each time before running again, and eventually it was gone.

I'd suggest getting an X-ray on it to confirm.

4. SteveO

SteveO Guest

:wavey: I can't even run a mile without my shins freaking killing me, or jump roping 5 minutes

5. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

it's ALL about the shoes
    I honestly believe that

I had BAD shin splints, went to a speciality store and got me some proper shoes for how I step and problem got solved

6. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

Ice, ice, and ice.

7. cavefish

When I had bad shin splints our trainer had my legs in a freezing ass whirlpool for 20 minutes or so every day.

That seemed to help things a good deal.

8. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

:werd: junior year of high school football til sophomore year of college ball - every day in a freezing cold whirlpool. fucking miserable experience

9. SteveO

SteveO Guest

does it actually cure it over time or just releive it? I need something to cure this shit, cuz I can't count on a nice ice bath after a 3 mile run

10. cavefish

Yeah it sucked but then your legs went completely numb and you couldn't feel anything. And those damn things that went over your feet so your toes wouldn't freeze...

SteveO: I havn't had any problems with shin splints in recent years, I just had them flare up that one time. So I can't really say.

11. chizzle

chizzle New Member

I did get new shoes, and I just recently started doing reverse calf raises (which are suppose to help).

Iced it a couple of times, but I've been slacking, but I'll start up with that again. Did the wrap once, but had it on for a couple of hours and started to itch pretty bad, haven't put it back on since.

I thought just time and rest would work, guess I was wrong :wtc:

I hate not running...

12. TheMustafa

TheMustafa hook 'em

i think this is one of those times where "go see a doctor" is applicable.

13. Bush77

Bush77 New Member

14. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

I do these exercises where i sit on the bench with my feet hanging off the end, i put a dumbell between my 2 feet, and lift up and down with both of my feet together, it works the Anterior Tibial pretty good, a lot of marathon/triathalon runners do it for shin splints.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.