wtf!!!! :wtc:

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by registeredPORK, Jan 22, 2009.

1. registeredPORK

registeredPORK Happy Poo Poo

When I turn on my laptop (Vaio k45 series), it says that: No Operating system Found (was running XP).

I tried booting from the CD (you know, reformatting and all that) but it doesn't work.

Should I just replace the HD and reinstall windows? Would that work?

Is htere a slight chance that the info on the HD will be recoverable? :wtc: Is it worht saving?!

It is about 4 years old.

2. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

what happened when you boot from the CD? you reinstall windows but then get the same "no operating system found" error?

3. benk016

benk016 O&A Crew

Sounds like a boot file is either corrupted or missing. Unless the hard drive totally died, your data should still be there. But remember if you re-install windows and format, it will then be gone. I'd put it in a different computer and get your data you want off of it.

4. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

Hopefully you screwed up reformating and it didn't actually happen....

5. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

if he did a quick format he could probably still recover his data with some data recovery software.

6. registeredPORK

registeredPORK Happy Poo Poo

I wasn't able to boot from the CD successfully. It seems to skip the CD entirely, and go straight to the error of: No Operating System found.

The thing is, I'm unsure if the HD is actually dead. Is there a simple way I can check this?

Wasn't able to successfully get the laptop to read from the CD drive. Tried getting it booted over the network as well :o

7. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

Pull the hard drive out of the laptop and either plug it into a desktop (internall) or get an external enclosure to put it in and then copy what you want off it.

Then, put the CD back into your laptop and while its booting, go into your boot order and tell it to boot from the cd-rom first.

If the hard drive were completely dead, your computer would likely tell you something along the lines of "no hard disc found"