GUN WTF? v. NC Firearm Transportation

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by shohan, Apr 6, 2007.

1. shohan

shohan New Member

I just picked up 2 purchase permits from the county sheriffs and they gave me a paper on transporting weapons. Outlines the basic stuff about not being concealed and readily accessible, but goes into this shit:

What the fuck is that bullshit? How many cars have fold down back seats into the trunk these days? It's become more and mroe common and because of the "opinion" it makes it illegal? I wonder if this shit would hold up in court. Yep, in a box, locked, in the trunk and I crawled over the seat gained access to the trunk, unlocked the box, and, crawled back into the driver's seat all while doing 70+ mph in a 35mph school zone with a presbatyrian(sp) church and a Bojangles on the corners while hopped up on Mt Dew so I can go ape shit on somebody and come at them like a spider monkey...

:ugh2:

2. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

So, if you have a hatchback or a SUV are you just not able to transport at all?

3. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

or truck without box?

what about cars with a locking passthrough to the trunk? I mean if it is locked and the key is in the ignition it mind as well be separate.

I know the federal law only applies to interstate traffic, but it states

Notwithstanding any state or local law, a person shall be entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he may lawfully possess it to any other place where he may lawfully possess such firearm if the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console

while NC states that you need both in the trunk and in a locked box, but seemingly a locked box in the car will not work.

4. striker754

striker754 Chillin

I think you could argue this in court if you wanted.

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Granted the title says interstate and the actual law says place, but use the next section to argue

No provision of this chapter shall be construed as indicating an intent on the part of the Congress to occupy the field in which such provision operates to the exclusion of the law of any State on the same subject matter, unless there is a direct and positive conflict between such provision and the law of the State so that the two cannot be reconciled or consistently stand together.

5. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

All the more reason to get a CCW. NC has shit gun laws. Fucking liberal shits.

6. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

heck the LEOs and other people saying having one help if you ever get pulled over to and from the range and you are less things to get in trouble for with a CWP.

and that is in FL

7. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

Fuck em, I've got a PT Cruiser, and I keep the back seats out of it at all times, so I really dont have a "trunk" space. I've got a partition that I can put up, and usually do, but I'f I'm going to the range I'll just throw all my shit in the back and say hell with it. My range bag right now is my old school backpack, so it doesnt look suspicious. I've gone through a DUI checkpoint and license checkpoint with my stuff in the back, and they never questioned what was in the bag and I sure as hell didnt tell them. Alot of LEO's are worse than the brady bunch when it comes to guns. What they dont know wont hurt them.

8. blindarrow

blindarrow New Member

You lost me at "I have a PT Cruiser."

:mamoru:

9. shohan

shohan New Member

Yeah, I need to get my CHL application finished and turned in ASAP. It's funny because I would just throw my bag on the back seet floor right behind the drivers seat. It's never caused a problem, but more recently I've just been putting it in the trunk just in case. I do need to get a proper range bag though. I've been using a messenger bag that seems to work. Holds my pistols, some ammo, mags, and some cleaning gear. I just 'hook' my ear muffs on the strap as I carry it so it's not exactly inconspicuous.

10. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Don't know why you're stressing that hard about it. Open carry is legal, so throw that bitch on the seat beside you. :o

If you get pulled, unload it, lock the slide back, and wait. I've had it happen twice. Both times, no drama. Both before I got my permit.

11. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

It's got 102,000 miles on it and it's still going strong, despite the fagginess of it :mamoru:

12. shohan

shohan New Member

I'm not really stressing. Just commenting on the absurdness of it. Besides I just brought home 2 pistols... Just put on some locks and threw them under the back seat of my Dakota. Figured any sensible cop would realize that
    I was doing my best to do the right thing.

13. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

open carry is legal in NC, don't sweat it, besides what it really boils down to is if the officer wants to be a dick or not.