WTF - Service Pack 2.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by NVMY03GT, Feb 2, 2006.

1. NVMY03GT

NVMY03GT New Member

Alright Background:

Side Job: Windows XP Home Edition, running extremely slow etc.. Naturally I take the common path, I check for spyware, Virus's etc, and make sure Windows is up to date.

I notice SP2 is missing, she neglected to tell me this, so I kick off the install and I notice it taking a bit longer.

About Half way through it just quits, and comes back says access is denied. And then it gives me some messages regarding accessing registry files.

Now, someone else told me there was a command to run in order to roll back the Security permissions of the registry. Problem is I don't have a resource kit. Does anyone have one for Windows XP?

I looked to try and download it.

Hell I was going to reinstall Windows, problem is her Dell OEM Key doesn't work with my version of Home Edition, and she has a shit load of data out there. OT PLEASE HELP ME!!!

2. Mac

Mac It varies from season to season, kid. OT Supporter

k, word of advice? dont install sp2 on anything other then a fresh XP installation. kuz now yer prolly fucked. and xp home is garbage anyway. get a copy of Pro off bittorrent and get a corporate cd key that doesnt need activation and yer set. format the drive, reinstall, and apply the service pack..trust me dude

3. NVMY03GT

NVMY03GT New Member

:lol: I have a copy of XP Pro, on a Corp Level, but Im not distributing that, too many friggin ways of getting busted on that shit anymore. Ive done this a MILLION times.. I don't know why the hell this one is being a bitch :(..

I know the problem SP2 is Half installed so the machine is just having problems left and right :(..

Where can I find this so called resource kit?

4. NVMY03GT

NVMY03GT New Member

Next Option?

5. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

It's probably locked by something. You can use regedit to change permissions (assuming you are logging in with a user with admin rights, and if you are not you won't be installing SP2 anyway).

My guess is something running is locking the registry key. Try killing any extra processes in taskmanager.

edit: by lock I mean like a file lock (registry keys can be locked too), not permissions "locking" it. Also make sure to shut down any running anti-spyware. It's possible an anti-spyware program removed permissions to prevent changing by spyware. Do you know the key that is causing it to bail?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2006
  6. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

The Resource Kit isn't going to help you. That os is fucked.

7. NVMY03GT

NVMY03GT New Member

Yup full access to the Registry, and all process's have been ended, I even went into Diagnostic mode, and it still says Access Denied..

Resource Kit, will help me set all Reg Values back to Admin level. Thats why I need it. Where can I find it?

8. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Should be available on microsoft.com. They usually have most of the reskit tools for download on there.

9. NVMY03GT

NVMY03GT New Member

I had thought the same exact thing but good luck findind it, either Im blind, or Im just overlooking it.

Can anyone find a linky?

10. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

11. peerk

peerk New Member

I would just pop the drive into another computer and copy all the data off it. Then do a clean install of XP.

Also, my Dell laptop didn't come with a XP CD or any CDs with a drive image. All that was kept on a hidden partition only accessable by hitting some key during boot up. I'm not sure if that is the case the computer you are working on.

12. NVMY03GT

NVMY03GT New Member

Nither of those helped. Can't do either one.

My problem is I can't get her Quicken back if I reformat.. She lost that CD and I verified she has paid for it. But no dice on the Download.. And she doesn't have a CD for it (Go Figure)

FUCK!!

13. giovanna145

giovanna145 New Member

any of the following will work...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875350