WTF "Preview" Program won't open.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mach D, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Mach D

Mach D New Member

What's going on here. Every time i try to double click an image file, nothing happens. So I pinpoint it to the program called "preview" and when I try to open it in my apps menu, I see an icon on my dock, then it immediately goes away.

What gives?

2. Euclid

Euclid New Member

It's hard to say, but you can try to investigate the problem by checking the system logs. There is a log viewer called Console under /Applications/Utilities which you can use to view several different logs. (Click "Logs" if you don't see a list of them)

When it opens, you will be looking at the console.log which may be where to find the error message if Preview throws one out.

Other logs to look at are system.log and ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Preview.crash.log

Good luck, and if you find some clues maybe someone here can help figure out what the problem is. Or you can take the error message and put it (in quotation marks) into Google to try to find other people with the same problem.

3. BlaqueMan

BlaqueMan New Member

try downloading a picture of some sort, richt click (ctrl+click) on it and do open with and the preview.

if that fails, right click on the picture again and look at what program is set t open that picture, if its not already set to preview, set it to that.

4. Mach D

Mach D New Member

Awesome, great response. Here's what I got.

"2007-03-15 21:11:43.941 Preview[231] Unable to load nib file: MainMenu, exiting"

5. Mach D

Mach D New Member

Your post helped me solve the issue, but not really find out why. I used Pacifist to find the Preview.app on the install disk and load that to the default location. Works fine now.