GUN WTF is wrong with NY politicians - Urge police not to shoot to kill

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Feb 23, 2006.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/393992p-333984c.html

I think the only possible hope left for NY is for an Astroid to hit albany durring some sort of big meeting, or Westchester county and everything south needs to break off and form there own communist state

Shoot to hurt, pol urges cops

Daily News Exclusive

BY JOE MAHONEY
    DAILY NEWS ALBANY BUREAU CHIEF

ALBANY - Sen. David Paterson is pushing a bill that would require cops to shoot to wound, rather than using deadly force - drawing outrage from officers.

The bill also would create a new provision for second-degree manslaughter that would be reserved specifically for an officer who "uses more than the minimal amount necessary" to stop a crime suspect.

Paterson, who is on Eliot Spitzer's ticket as lieutenant governor, has reintroduced the bill twice since first sponsoring it in 2001, refusing to let it die.

In a memo urging its passage, Paterson wrote: "There is no justification for terminating another's life when a less extreme measure may accomplish the same objective."

Current law gives cops a wide berth to use deadly force when a suspect presents a danger to another person's life.

Paterson (D-Harlem) wrote that a police officer, under his legislation, "would have to try toshoot a suspect in the arm or the leg."

"This bill shows absolutely no understanding of just how difficult it is for a police officer when they get into situations requiring the use of deadly force," John Grebert, director of the New York State Association of Chiefs of Police, told the Daily News.

His sentiment was echoed by Dan DeFedericis, president of the New York State Troopers PBA, who said: "We are definitely opposed to this bill ... and we strongly believe it could endanger the lives of police officers and innocent civilians."

While Spitzer already has the endorsement of the New York City Patrolmen's Benevolent Association, that group's Albany lobbyist, John Poklemba, said, "This bill is very ill conceived. I can't imagine any police agencies not being opposed to it."

Paterson told The News last night that his bill would safeguard the public. He explained that he wrote the bill in response to the acquittal of four NYPD officers charged in the 1999 shooting death of the unarmed Amadou Diallo in the Bronx.

"Many people were surprised the officers weren't guilty of something, criminally negligent homicide or something that involved some negligence," he said. "I thought I was writing the bill that really mirrored what the department rules are."

A Spitzer spokesman declined to comment.

Originally published on February 23, 2006

2. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

god damn, the meetings they had to come up w/ that shit must have looked something like those commercials where the monkeys are running the business, and spending 85% of profits on lotto tickets. retards.

3. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

4. DaJMan

DaJMan When i was young, i dreamed of being a baseball

fools...

5. Nouia

Nouia New Member

They're NY politicians. Are you suprised by this? :hsugh:

6. mrbill

mrbill New Member

pretty soon they're gonna be asking all people to put up a pictorial inventory of their home's contents so the criminals will know exactly what's inside and not have to waste their time breaking into homes w/nothing of value.

7. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

I want to give that guy a handgun with paint bullets, someone else with a rubber knife, hell even a stick, then have the knife guy charge him. The politician is only allowed to aim for the arms and legs, let's see who wins.

8. Clingman

Clingman Clingman runs Bartertown.

I think you jest, but honestly, such a practice confrontation would help the dispshit senator a lot. The guy is obviously just plain fucking ignorant.

9. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

It's half joke, half truth. I would love for the guy to do it. He'd spin some bs about how he isn't trained with firearms, but even with training he couldn't do it. Even if luck is on your side and you get an arm, unless the guy's handicapped he has another one. And, if you get his leg, he can still shoot from the ground.

10. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

:werd: limbs are not an easy target to hit especially when they're moving, center mass is the way to go, majority of cops only shoot when qualification time comes around, most are not firearm enthusiests who shoot alot, I've gone to the range with a friend of mine who is NYPD and is into guns, he has brought along some of his coworkers before and well there shooting was just :ugh:

11. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

That is way too far. If an officer is in a situation where he needs to fire his weapon, center of mass and nothign else. Why risk missing a hard target like a moving leg or arm and risk hurting someone else. argh, this stuff pisses me off.

12. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

The problem is that there are a LOT of people out there that think this line of thinking makes sense. How many bleeding heart fucktards are out there right now going "A criminal that's done something to warrant getting shot at by the police has every right to live that you or I do." I just want to choke idiots like that.

13. johan

johan Active Member

Most people have no idea of what constitutes reality when dealing with firearms.
    You could say that maybe this guy is just a NY politician, but frankly lots of people think something similar.

Maybe because in days gone past, with two World Wars and more prevalent presence of firearms in society their ideas of what was possible and reasonable tended to coincide with reality.

I wonder if maybe many people today have taken on assumptions borne out of watching movies and tv, and think shooting someone in the shoulder is a reasonable request to make of a police officer. After all, the guys on TV do it all the time. He's only nicked in the shoulder...

Fuckers. They (the people) get what they ask for, no more and no less.

Let this idiot bring in this bill. No other way but to demonstrate via real life just how stupid these proposals are.

14. Artyboy

The problem with that line of reasoning is that a LOT of innocent people will be hurt and put in danger because of the bill. I say we just kill the fucker and hope the bill dies with him (that was a joke).

15. DaJMan

DaJMan When i was young, i dreamed of being a baseball

i think along the same lines as you do... let him introduce this bill, then watch as the criminals sue the pants off the state for making them walk with a slight limp...

but i also forsee a number of LEOs loosing their lives because a PCPed out gangsta still has time to whip out his 45 and plug the cop in the chest, even after 4 out the 17 rounds the cop fired ended up in the guys leg... this would be a terrible way to proove this senator is wrong, but it may be the only way...

16. mrbill

mrbill New Member

yes

and what if it actually passes? that would just further endanger police officers who are already putting their lives on the line everyday.

17. Artyboy

If I was a cop in New York and a bill like that passed I would be moving out of state with a fucking quickness. Either that or I'd find another job.