WTF is wrong with my subs

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by PharCyde, Jun 16, 2004.

1. PharCyde

PharCyde New Member

I drove 2 1/2 hours straight from one town to another blasting my subs around the medium level. The next time I got into the car my subs sounded like regular speakers, nothing has been changed or messed with, everything is like it was the day it was installed. They move very little with not much bass coming out at all, even when I put a bass CD in.

2. 04

04 Guest

Could the subwoofers be broken?

3. PharCyde

PharCyde New Member

Hope not, I don't know that much about car audio, that's why I came here :hs:

4. 04

04 Guest

Try hooking up a different subwoofer and see if the problem still persists. My guess though is that the amplifier or other electronics are the problem.

5. 04

04 Guest

Also, did you make sure you didnt change the crossover setting on the amplifier from low pass to high pass? If you did, that would explain why the speakers sound like 'normal' speakers rather than a subwoofer.

6. PharCyde

PharCyde New Member

No that was the first thing I checked, yeah I'm about to hook up an old 10" to see if it works... hopefully it's my amp, amp is getting old

7. PharCyde

PharCyde New Member

Well the old sub works, guess I blew the 2 at the same time... if I take my subs out of the box is there a way to tell that it's blown?

8. 04

04 Guest

If you have a multimeter, I would measure the DC resistance of each coil. If it is very close to 0 or extremely high (like more than 10 ohms) you probably blew them.