wtf is wrong with my ipod? v.harddriveorfilesystem?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by nish81, Aug 20, 2007.

1. nish81

nish81 OT Supporter

well, it all started when I ejected my ipod and took it out of the computer one day. when I put it back in, it said my ipod was corrupt. but when I took it out again, the music was still on the ipod and I could use it fine - just that iTunes couldn't read it.

I had a ton of new cds I wanted to rip to it however so I decided to restore it since I had a backup. I restored it, (it went from being a winpod to a macpod) and put the music on it.

here came a problem: I have about 23gb of music in ~2500 songs. after about 600 songs, iTunes froze, crashed, my ipod was ejected, and when I plugged it in it had been corrupted again. this happened every time for the next 5 tries. I even tried other programs that put music on my ipod like itunes - no luck. I even tried putting the songs on in small groups, i.e. groups of 300. no luck.

I gave it to my friend who turned it into a winpod and put the music on it. it worked, BUT with major problems. the hard disk was for some reason ALWAYS spinning - I'm not sure why. and the ipod would freeze every time I tried to do something - change the volume, start a new song, and if I pressed 'menu' while a song was playing. it would freeze for about two minutes. if I put my ear to the ipod's case, I head the hard disk spinning and clicking regularly - basically a constant whine and a click every 1-2 seconds. it never spun this much before - I'm not sure whether the clicking is normal.

I then put it into my computer to update it, and it got corrupted. that was yesterday. since then, I've zeroed it out, going over each block of memory three times. then I've formatted it to macpod. that's where I'm at right now.

The constantly spinning hard disk would suggest a hard drive problem. the thing is, it happened so suddenly - one day it was alright, then the next day it was totally messed up. and I've only had it for about 6 months, a hard disk should last longer than that?

sadly, since I live in tanzania, I haven't got a warranty to help me - that is to say, the warranty expired after 3 months.

my question is, what exactly is wrong with it? is the hard drive dying on me, or is it just a problem with the file system :hs:

2. Lat

Lat New Member

menu+center button