WTF is up with my internet?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by NPH, Nov 10, 2007.

1. NPH

NPH Guest

Here's what I'm going through.. Every 2 hours or so, my internet connection just stops. The network status on the taskbar still shows me as connected to the internet, but nothing loads. I right-click, disconnect and try to reconnect to my wireless router. It can't connect and it gives me the diagnostic vista bullshit window.

I'm forced to reboot the router (power off) and then it finally works again. Like I said, about every 2 hours and it's been doing it for a good portion of the day already. My ISP is RoadRunner. My router is a Netgear WGT624 v3 with latest firmware.

Any ideas wtf is going on?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2007
  2. Casey

Casey New Member

Check the router logs and see what it displays before the connection stopped working.

3. Vito_Corleone

Vito_Corleone New Member

Any other computers on the network having this issue? If so, are they Vista?

I had this problem with Vista awhile ago. I stopped using it and went back to XP.

4. NPH

NPH Guest

My Xbox 360 is suffering from this as well. It kinda stopped doing it now. It did it all day yesterday and today in the morning. Seems fine now. I had submitted a ticket to Netgear and this is what the tech said:

Is disabling the SPI Firewall a good idea? :ugh:
    Also, wouldn't lowering the MTU slow down my bandwidth? I'm not too familiar with MTU. All I know is that it's set at 1500 (default) right now. :dunno:

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

no, don't do it.

is the unit overheating?

netgear routers fucking suck, btw (but I guess you've figured that out).

6. NPH

NPH Guest

No I didn't do it. It somehow "fixed" itself by the time I received that reply from Netgear. I don't think overheating is an issue. :dunno:

7. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

In the future, buy Linksys.

WRT54GL ftw

8. Vito_Corleone

Vito_Corleone New Member

Why not?

It may help if your router is underpowered and SPI is overloading it.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

SPI is part of what makes a router worth having. Don't disable the protection -- fix the problem!

10. NPH

NPH Guest

It's doing it again! WTF!!! :mad:

11. NPH

NPH Guest

It never did it before.. for the past 6 months that I've owned it, never has it done this till now. Netgear is pretty much telling me to disable the security in order to fix it, which is pointless of a router. I agree.

12. NPH

NPH Guest

How would a router be underpowered? :confused:

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I recommend a new router -- and get one that you can run DD::WRT on.

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

they generally have decent cpus in em (approx 350MHz) which is fine for SOHO router use. However, they are mostly plastic case now, with shitty (if any) heatsinks. The plastic case exaserbates things because it's an insulator. Most have cooling "holes" to help but that doesn't do shit unless there is airflow (which there isn't because they don't come with fans.

I have fixed many routers by installing 60mm thin fans inside the cases. I also recommend DD::WRT because it does a much better job at thermal-management. If your router is not in the open (I've seen many that are burried behind computers or have things on top of them to prevent airflow) then you need to get it in the open.

15. NPH

NPH Guest

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

fuck no. dlink is absolute crap.

17. NPH

NPH Guest

Which wireless router do you recommend?

18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

~$160 Linksys WRT350N v1.0 300MHz 32M-RAM 8M-Flash w/DD::WRT
    ~$70 Linksys WRT54GS v2.1 216MHz 32M-RAM 8M-Flash w/DD::WRT
    ~$40 Buffalo WHR-G125 240MHz-250MHz 16M-RAM 4M-Flash /DD::WRT
    ~$50 Linksys WRT54G v3.1 216MHz 16M-RAM 4M-Flash w/DD::WRT

In that order. Obviously you won't find these everywhere. The WRT54G is the most common, easiest to find. Although being more money than the Buffalo, it can usually be had for massive mail-in-rebates bringing it to damn near free. It's also the one that I use, and with DD::WRT it's fucking stable! The built-in VPN server is so nice on that unit.

Otherwise, the Buffalo receives much recommendation from the community. The other two linksys units are good, with the WRT350N supporting draft-N wireless, if that floats your boat.

19. NPH

NPH Guest

Update: Disabling SPI and lowering the MTU to 1400 didn't work. Still experiencing this unstableness. :mad:

20. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If your router is in a plastic box, then overheating is an issue. Get a better router or install a fan in the router's shell and solder the fan's power leads onto the router's power input.

21. NPH

NPH Guest

I've never soldered anything in my life. I know this is OT and all, but come on :ugh: Which routers aren't plastic this day in age. I ended up resetting the router. So far so good. I'm already shopping around for a replacement just in case it fucks up again :squint:

22. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

It would be a very useful skill to learn.

I messed up one end on the only connector my psu has for the 6-pin video card power, this past weekend.
    (on the psu side)

So I took one of the cables that I wasn't using, cut one end off of both wires and soldered the 6 leads together ftmfw.

Took me maybe 15 minutes. Without that ability, I had a useless psu.

23. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Now's a perfect time to start, then. Worst case scenario is you have to spend the money you were already going to spend.

24. ParTyBoy

ParTyBoy New Member

http://forums.offtopic.com/showpost.php?p=88130140&postcount=4
    http://forums.offtopic.com/showpost.php?p=87490854&postcount=17