wtf is PCI-Express? v.GraphicCards

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jeff Merr, May 5, 2005.

1. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

I havnt looked at computer parts for about 4 months, i was thinkin about buying a 6600GT from newegg, but i see that a lot of them are PCI-E, wtf does that mean? Is it better than 8X AGP ? How do i know if i have it on my motherboard? thanks

2. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

PCI-E is the next generation of expansion slots, mostly graphics cards, but will be expanding in the near future. In theory it is better than AGP, but current generation cards dont use all the bandwidth capability of AGP @ the moment.

What kind of motherboard do you have?

3. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

4. Diggumz

Diggumz Devin da dude

PCI-E is the new standard and crap, if you have an AGP 8X motherboard, no it will not support PCI-E. It's still a budding market even though there are a good deal of cards and similar crap but until they learn to properly saturate all 16 lanes for the x16 peg its pretty uselss.

5. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

6. Diggumz

Diggumz Devin da dude

the cooler is ugly and looks like it traps heat above the ram, try a different brand.

7. Goonigoogoo

Goonigoogoo Active Member

The market will eventually stabilize under agp-express and/or pci-express, too many platforms might hurt the market or get too many complaints from consumers. I doubt i will see SLI for much longer, i hope i am wrong but not many apps can take advantage of SLI to its full extent, pretty much wasting your money on 2 vid cards as of today, maybe it will change in the future.

Even if you get an AGP motherboard you will be efficient for at least another 3-4 years until the industry settles on a standard or 2, not the multiple ones we have now.

8. Diggumz

Diggumz Devin da dude

The only reason most programs don't take advantage of SLI is because nvidia is wonderful at writing horrible drivers, until we see more game profiles for AFR like in 3dMark05, SLI's preformance will be nill. now ATI's MVP, I'm excited to see that. Because I'm an ATI fanboy.

9. turi

turi Guest

I believe the general idea behind PCI-express (besides always switching standards to make our lifes harder) is this:

Graphics cards need extra bandwidth. For this reason we have developed many types of buses to give them that extra juice. VESA local bus and AGP are examples of this.

However, having a separate standard just for graphics complicates things and probably slows down mobo development. AGP also means that we can have only one graphics card per mobo and no other expansion cards (I/O etc.) can use that bandwidth.

So let's make a single bus that can have different amount of bandwidth for different slots, but still talks the same protocol with all cards. That way, we only need a single interface with the CPU/Chipset and can potentially have many "big slots" and use the big bandwidth for something besides graphics.