WTF. Football Deaths

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Shiftknob, Jan 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shiftknob

Shiftknob New Member

Seriously, I read in the paper that something like 25+ ex Steelers have died in some rediculous time frame, like the past 10 years or something. Not to my surprise, most of them were linemen, DT's, etc...no recievers, safetys, or corners. Now I bring this here because it does correlate with health and fitness. What are your takes? I think many of those in defensive positions requiring you to be rediculously massive and strong are hurting these guys so bad in the long run. Also not to surprise, majority of deaths were cardiac or stroke related..like 90% of the list..the rest were freak accidents or cancer of the colon, etc. As a health and sports enthusiast it makes me think. My guess is that all that hard training with that body mass tears one up after decades. Keep in mind your avg. lineman i would say is 230+..I may be wrong. The more 'athletic' positions like WR, RB, Safety dont seem to die as fast as the big boys. Sucks and it is sad, but definately makes me wonder. Oh and +1 for AZ. in the SB.

2. Shiftknob

Shiftknob New Member

I also always wonder about how prevalent HGH/AS use is in NFL, and by looking at some statures, you can tell who is on usually. I wonder if the use is so strong in the defensive line positions, contriubuting to all this cardiac issue.;..most of these guys were dying in their 50's too...fishy a bit ?

3. ilduce

ilduce New Member

There was an article published in ESPN that basically said a lot of guys were on HGH. They were taking it because after a concussion the body's ability to heal itself is severely impacted so they were able to get a script because they needed to perform their job. They had a guy who was interviewed who was saying he could barely walk but after taking HGH he felt like he was 37 and not 87.

4. RICK RO$$

RICK RO$$ Active Member

I'd say it has more to do with drug abuse in general combined with their weights

5. Drewski

Drewski New Member

a lot of older players don't have the same kind of pension & health benefits more recent players have or the kind of money they do. Combine that with injuries they played through that weren't taken care of or the concussions that weren't taken care of that lead to brain damage, they end up in bad situations where they really can't take care of themselves.

6. Shiftknob

Shiftknob New Member

You all bring good points, what I wanted in a FN thread....good shit bros.

Ross, you are probably right too, just like wrestling and any other sport im sure theres some bros blowing lines of coke at practice and speedballing..more so in the old days not now...but Im sure juicing and drug use is heavy as fuck..but hey it makes the sport what it is today. Ever since mankinds existence, havent we been trying to get bigger, stronger, and faster anyways? I bet we could all guess a few atheletes who are saucing during the off season

7. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

No definitive studies that I know of have ever proved a link between long term use of gear and death. Look at those guys on "Bigger, stronger, faster" who've been on for 20-30 years and are fine.

I think a lot of it also has to do with these football players who are 250 at a fairly low body fat retiring and gaining 80lbs of fat.

8. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

Being 300+lbs for the majority of your life will undoubtedly lead to cardiac problems regardless of anything else.

9. RICK RO$$

RICK RO$$ Active Member

Well I'm talking out of my ass here but I'd be willing to bet a ton of NFL players are massive painkiller junkies just because of the beating they take from playing each week.

10. ralyks

ralyks New Member

Linemen are not just over 230, but over 300 in most cases.

11. Toxicity

Toxicity New Member

Word, once you get over 300, shit is no joke

12. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Combination of a couple of things.

Gear use aside (because we have no definitive evidence on its long-term effects) there are other factors:

1) The lineman get beat up more than anyone else. This means that day in and day out pain/injury makes them more likely to abuse pain killers and other drugs.

2) Lineman in the NFL do not weigh 230+. It's more like 280+ with a large majority of them being well over 300lbs. They are not there to have a six pack, they are there to be a fucking fridge and use stupid amounts of strength to push people around.
    Unlike the RB's and WR's they don't need to be 10% b/f.
    Walking around for YEARS on end at over 300lbs and 30% b/f takes a huge toll on your body.

3) In correlation to point number 2, the only thing that keeps these 300lb, 30% b/f guys in relative shape is going to practice and lifting/running.
    Now imagine what happens when they retire around 35 or 40 years old. It's doubtful their eating habits change, and NOW they are likely cutting back substantially on lifting and exercising.

- I would say it has a lot less to do with gear (though this probably does make a bad situation worse) and a lot more to do with spending most of your life over 300lbs and eating anything you can stay big and strong.

Most guys that don't play football and have never touched gear won't make it to 60 y/o if they've been walking around at 300+ most of their lives.

13. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Yep.

My dad is built like a lineman and since the age of 25 has been over 250 and since the age of 34 has been over 300.
    He is 44 now, and therefore for 10 years now he has weighed between 300-315 at only 5' 10".

At 44 he has already had a heart-bypass and a small heart attack and is borderline diabetic. It sucks balls because he probably won't make it to 50 y/o unless he changes his life style but every time he starts cleaning up his diet he quits shortly after.

His mom (my grandmother) was like 40lbs over weight most of her life and it was not until her late 50's when she had a bypass and was diagnosed diabetic that she FINALLY changed her life. She took initiative and lost over 40lbs and is healthier at 65 y/o than she was at 45 y/o.

14. Reaver2218

Reaver2218 Active Member

I'm sure most of it has to do with their fatty diets.

15. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo New Member

gridiron greats. :hs:

16. RollinDollos

RollinDollos Guest

I had a chance to talk to Marvel Smith, LT for the Steelers a couple of weeks ago. He said playing in a single game is equivalent to getting into 40 minor car crashes.

17. Drewski

Drewski New Member

18. CrackityJones

CrackityJones OT Supporter

and their diets.

19. PreemO

PreemO OT Supporter

20. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

That's scary. Everyone wants to be a professional athlete but they never think about stuff like this :eek3:

I've gotten two concussions... one from football, and one from rugby. I hate that feeling, I cannot imagine walking around with that feeling for years on end.

21. RollinDollos

RollinDollos Guest

Fuck it, if I get a 10 mil contract to play football for a living I'd gladly do it knowing I'm going to feel like shit on grass when I'm 45.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.