GUN WTF...beheaded on a canadian bus.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by McCroskey, Aug 1, 2008.

1. McCroskey

McCroskey Jonny, what can you make out of this? OT Supporter

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/americas/07/31/canada.bus/index.html

Bus passenger beheaded seat mate, witness says

• Story Highlights
    • NEW: Police say suspect is in custody, no charges have been filed
    • AP: Witness says attacker seemed normal before slaying, appeared to be about 19
    • Man repeatedly stabbed and then decapitated sleeping seat mate, witness says
    • Trucker helped passengers trap knife-wielding man on bus, witnesses say

(CNN) -- As horrified travelers watched, a Greyhound Canada bus passenger repeatedly stabbed and then decapitated a young man who was sitting and sleeping beside him, a witness said Thursday.
    [​IMG]
    Police investigate the scene near Portage la Prairie, Canada, on Thursday.

[​IMG]

"There was a bloodcurdling scream. I was just reading my book, and all of a sudden, I heard it," Garnet Caton, who was sitting in front of the two men, said of the Wednesday night incident west of Portage la Prairie in Manitoba.
    "It was like something between a dog howling and a baby crying, I guess you could say," Caton said. "I don't think it will leave me for a while."
    Passengers exited the bus, and a trucker who stopped provided wrenches and crowbars to several of them so they could keep the suspect on the bus until police came, witnesses told Canadian TV.
    The suspect was seized with the help of negotiators, Royal Canadian Mounted Police Sgt. Steve Colwell said. [​IMG] Watch Colwell discuss the case »
    He said no formal charges had been filed, and he declined to identify either the man in custody or the victim, who were among 34 passengers.
    The was no immediate indication of what prompted the attack, Colwell said. He said he didn't know how many times the victim was stabbed. Witnesses described the weapon as a large butcher-type knife.
    Caton told The Associated Press that the victim appeared to be about 19 years old and had gotten on the bus in Edmonton.
    Colwell praised the "extraordinary" level-headedness and bravery of the bus driver and passengers.
    "What you saw and what you experienced would shake the most seasoned police officer. And yet I'm told that each of you acted swiftly, calmly and bravely," Colwell said. "As a result, no one else was injured."
    The police received a call reporting the attack at 8:30 p.m. By the time they arrived at the scene, everyone except the knife-wielder and his victim had left the bus, Colwell said. The incident ended about 1:30 a.m.
    The bus was traveling along the Trans-Canada Highway from Edmonton, Alberta, to Winnipeg, Manitoba, and was about 45 minutes from its destination when the attack occurred, Greyhound spokeswoman Abby Wambaugh said in Dallas, Texas.
    Caton said the victim was sleeping with his head leaning against the window when the attack happened. Caton said he shouted at the other passengers, many of whom also were sleeping, to leave. [​IMG] Watch Caton describe what he saw »
    "Everybody got off the bus. Me and a trucker that stopped and the Greyhound driver ran up to the door to maybe see if the guy was still alive or we could help or something like that," Caton said.
    "And when we all got up, we saw that the guy was cutting off the guy's head. ... When he saw us, he came back to the front of the bus, told the driver to shut the door. He pressed the button and the door shut, but it didn't shut in time, and the guy was able to get his knife out and take a swipe at us," Caton said.
    Caton told the AP that the attacker didn't sit near the victim when he first got on the bus, about an hour before the attack.
    "He sat in the front at first; everything was normal," Caton said. "We went to the next stop, and he got off and had a smoke with another young lady there. When he got on the bus again, he came to the back near where I was sitting. He put his bags in the overhead compartment. He didn't say a word to anybody. He seemed totally normal."
    Half an hour later, the attack began, Caton told the AP. "There was no rage or anything. He was like a robot, stabbing the guy."
    The incident occurred on the first of two Greyhound Canada buses that were traveling together, Wambaugh said. The bus was carrying 37 passengers. As many passengers as possible among those not directly involved in the incident were transferred to the second bus, she said.
    Others were taken to a hotel in Brandon, where they were met by Greyhound managers and police, Wambaugh said.
    Once they are released, Greyhound will take them by bus to Winnipeg, and "we will do whatever is required to help them, and that includes counseling," she added.
    [​IMG]

Wambaugh declined to comment further.
    "I don't want to compromise the investigation," she said.
    E-mail to a friend [​IMG] [​IMG] Share this on:

Mixx Digg Facebook del.icio.us reddit StumbleUpon MySpace

| Mixx it | Share

Copyright 2008 CNN. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Associated Press contributed to this report.
    All About Murder and HomicideCanadaGreyhound Lines Inc.

2. hsracer201

hsracer201 New Member

fucked up aint' it? i read it on another board this morning and i've been scratching my head like "wtf?" all day.

if someone had been carrying that shit wouldn't have happened like it did, i guarantee.

ETA: it sure is a good thing that canadians can't carry, right? :smartass:

3. Dadilius

Dadilius New Member

Holy christ.....I thought that shit only happened in the Middle East with terrorists :eek3:

4. Hooligan

Hooligan New Member

I don't know why people think no guns = no crime.

5. Hooligan

Hooligan New Member

On a side note, there's not shit he could have done if he had been carrying. When the dude next to you on the bus stabs you in the chest out of nowhere you don't have much reaction time.

6. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

:werd:

A gun is not a shield against violence - some people don't realize that.

7. Dadilius

Dadilius New Member

I'm guessing the only thing that might have helped is if another passenger had been carrying....but would they have been justified on firing on the attacker?

8. Hooligan

Hooligan New Member

Uh, yeah. Some guy was getting fucking stabbed.

9. hsracer201

hsracer201 New Member

if you are talking about my reply above, then you are correct, from his standpoint. but what if someone else had been carrying? they could have shot the psycho in the head sooner. :bigthumb:

it might have saved his life, it might not have. we will never know. :wtc:

10. Dadilius

Dadilius New Member

Legally I mean :hsd:

Dunno how courts handle that.....?

11. Hooligan

Hooligan New Member

No, I'm just saying that guns don't have force fields as a standard feature yet.

12. Hooligan

Hooligan New Member

something like reason to believe there was danger of danger or grievous bodily harm

13. mtnbike4522

mtnbike4522 CelicaTech.com

I know that here its legal to shoot somebody doing shit like that

14. Furk

Furk New Member

This actually happened not even an hours drive away from where I live... This is crazy shit... My ex-gf's sister was on that bus and got off at a town just a few stops prior!!

15. MR. Marti

MR. Marti New Member

omg, that's horrible.

16. Matren

Matren Well, my name is Jim, but most people call me... J

TOTALLY not a 12 page thread about this already.

17. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I'm not sure thats true, news stories are reporting the guy was stabbed a ton of times. Shooting the guy stabbing you after the 5th stab wouldn't leave you in the best of health but it might leave you better than after 50 stabs and beheaded. Ymmv.

Sometimes things like this baffle me. How does that call for a stand off?

18. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Calls for an 'accidental' discharge into his head IMHO :o

19. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

Seriously. Just shoot the SOB as soon as he sticks himself out the window.

20. cent

cent New Member

i guess canada needs to ban knives

21. sprite

sprite Active Member

:rofl:

22. Katsumoto

Katsumoto New Member

I very much doubt that someone that wakes up while being brutally stabbed repeatedly by a pycho, would have the where with all to do anything besides flail frantically. You would be in utter shock pretty much immediately I would think.

23. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I wouldn't think anyone that has a 12ga slug put through their torso would be up fighting. What I imagine and the way things actually work are different though. It might not apply to everyone but knife fights aren't known for being quick to end.

24. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

ban busses

25. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I agree!