wtf am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by CyberEye, Apr 20, 2006.

1. CyberEye

CyberEye Oh god, the voices

Gave the car a good wash yesterday, then applied Optimum polish. I tried aplying with an orange cutting pad, and with a white polishing pad, both seperate, and over top of each other. All three variants ended in the same result, some decent shine, but none even began to touch any swirl marks/light scratches.

:wtf: am I doing wrong?

2. spitfyre

spitfyre OT Supporter

3. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

:werd: Check that thread and make sure you are doing that stuff. Make sure the polish is shaken well, and you are applying pressure with the PC. What car are you doing? Some paints are harder than others, and OP is not going to work as well with major swirls, you need something more abrasive perhaps, or work it a long time.

4. CyberEye

That's what I do :hs:

Very slow small up down/side side motions, PC is on 6, I'm pushing to the point where the pad stops spinning, then letting up just enough so it spins.

It's black paint, on a 96 Eagle Talon btw.

I did my friends roof (same car, black roof), was oxidized all to hell, with the orange cutting pad/optimum, and it brought back alot of the shine. Is my pad maybe just gummed up?

5. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

Have you not cleaned the pad? Could affect it, yes.

6. CyberEye

I asked quite a while ago about cleaning pads, and was told that you don't have to clean them out between every use, if you're using the same product. Just to store them in a ziplock bag between uses.

7. whelen1

whelen1 New Member

I clean my pads after every detail, why keep the contaminants from the previous car on there when I don't have to.

THAT and I clean each pad at least 2x while doing the vehicle using a brush

8. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

I always clean pads after using.

9. CyberEye

how do you guy's clean them?

10. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

I mostly just stick the pad on my "cheapo" rotary and using a medium-soft toothbrush to clean the pad surface. A squirt or two of Meg's FI (#34) helps, too.

I don't usually like to wash the pads in water, it makes the velcro backing start to separate prematurely.

11. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

BTW, you pad is probibly gummed up to shit. I find that optimum gums preaty fast for some reason. I dunno, it just seems to load my pads faster then most other polishes i use. (and no Scott im not useing to much).

Anyway.

To clean it, i usually let them soak in warm water for a while with some dish soap. Then kneed them in the water, and scrub them with my fingers to get the gook out. That usually works well. You can use the dry brishing method as well. But i find this often decintigrates the surface of the pad, and also doesnt remove the fine particulates, or contaminates, that could actually scratch the surface of the car later.
    Once the pads are clean, i like to place them in the middle of a folded terry cloth towel, and then step on it with my foot to squeeze the excess water out of it. So far ive been washing my pads this way, and havent noticed any premature backing seperation. Also, im useing the Meguires pads.

As for the amount of pad pressure. Youve got it all wrong. And your probibly PUTTING swirls into your paint, not removing them.

This is a direct result of not understanding, and knowing how a random orbital polisher works.

The pad doesnt need to spin. The pad mearly orbits (thus the "orbital" in random orbital) on an excentric shaft, around the center shaft. THink of the Karate kid, and "wax on, wax off" Move your hand in that motion. Notice your hand moves in a circle, while the actual orientation of your hand stays the same. This is essentially how the RO machine works. The bearing that is there on the backing plate shaft is there to allow the pad to move and rotate randomly (this is the "random" in random orbital) and freely from the excentric shaft. If your useing the RO properly, the pad SHOULD NOT SPIN. I can emphasize that enough. Much as Scott has said before, refer to the pic in his AV. ANd you can see the kind of pressure hes putting on it. You should put enough pressure on teh macine to stall the pad, and continue to apply pressure untill you hear the motor start to bog. Once you here the motor bog, you ned to release the pressure just slightly, and polish from there. Once you get teh hang of it you will be fine. But for right now, with what your doing, the pad skimming around on the surface of the paint, is micro maring the shit out of it. And doing more harm then good.

Proper technique is everything.

If i get a chance next week, i will try to shoot some video with my parents DV cam, of proper polishing technique.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2006