WTF...added more ram and now my G4 constantly crashes

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by EB, Aug 3, 2007.

1. EB

EB 2/24/08

So I use an old 450mhz power pc g4 that I got cheap. It had like 128 megs of ram when I got it, I upgraded it to 320......it worked fine. Then last night my roommate found a bunch of PC100(maybe 133, i dunno) memory I could use in it. I installed it and it jumped to 572, but every time I tried to start a program the thing would freeze and tell me that I needed to press reset or hold the power button. I played musical sticks of ram until I only got one of the new peices to work. After 2 hours of use the same thing happened. I said srew it and I jsut went back to the original configuration. Now it still crashes all the time. Did the beast finally die or did it get infected somehow. I really don't want to live off my laptop here???

2. Ariez

Ariez OT Supporter

Yea bad ram.
    I think you need PC133. So make sure its PC133.
    Or it could just be straight up corrupt ram modules...."finding" a bunch usually lead to that. :o

3. EB

EB 2/24/08

ya i figured that the ram maybe corrupted, but now was grinds my gears is that it won't work with the original configuration :mad:

4. doublemeat

doublemeat New Member

The 450 & 500 sawtooths take only PC133.

For some reason that's the only type of RAM that never really comes down in price. Sucks cuz I have an AGP Graphics that still has a lot more life left in it.