wtb laptop: dell w/ $750 off? something else?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 01000101, Jul 25, 2005.

1. 01000101

01000101 New Member

im looking to get a laptop before the next semester starts.

i know desktops, but i dont know anything about computer makers, i do my own. who is good, who to avoid, who makes the best shit? if i can get the discount through my employer and the $750 coupon (i just missed it), its savings of about $1000

im looking at the dell 700m, it seems to get good reviews, save the short battery life and some audio in problems.

im looking for a thin portable one, not a desktop replacement. something around 4 or 5 pounds. screen quality is important. do all laptops this size have the slightly undersized keyboard?

how fast do i want my proc? im looking at the 1.8 pentium m, 512 ram in 2 slots, 60gb drive.

thoughts?
    thanks!

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if you buy the dell, you will be miserable... simple as that.

3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I'm still having trouble understanding why you don't like Dell since you always post that they suck when Dell is mentioned.

99% of our machines at work are Dells and a lot of my family and friends have them too. They all work great and never had any serious issues with them. I can't recommend them enough

One of the guys here has the 700m and he's pretty happy with it. It probably just takes some getting used to the small keyboard.

If you see the Dell coupon again, go for it.

Where else can you get $750 off of a laptop?

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Where else can you get a $6000 brand new car but hyundai/kia? I still would NEVER drive one...

Price is not everything. People that think $750 will get them a good notebook are idiots, and have no respect from me when they have problems.

5. 01000101

01000101 New Member

okay jollyorge, i posted for information, not just opinions. if you think that the one that im looking at is crap, why dont you recommend one thats comprable that you dont think sucks? ive haunted here for a while, and i do like reading what you think, even if others disagree

i want a laptop, but since ill have it for the foreseeable future, i want to make sure that its a good one before i buy it. i wasnt just asking for thoughts on the dell 700m, i was asking for thoughts on laptops in general

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

what do you require in your next laptop?

7. 01000101

01000101 New Member

lightweight, fantastic screen (clarity, color, brightness, size), 1.6GHz+, 512Mb+, 40Gb+, decent battery life, cd-rw/dvd

possibly; built in wireless and bluetooth, sd card reader, video out, firewire

not hard to please. want a good, powerful "thin and light," not a "desktop replacement." ill be carrying it around campus and to work. ill have it with me most of the time so portability is important.

id like to spend around $1000. thats why the 700m is looking so attractive. it meets most if not all of my specs, and if i can save $1000, im looking at right at $1100 and change for a $2k something laptop.

whats wrong with dells? bad systems? bad customer support? i tried getting help and it was all india. for half price, i think i can tolerate bad support.

if i go dell, should i avoid their warrenty stuff? i have no idea how to fix laptop hardware

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Dell is a company where you buy it... And for every month you have it in your posession, you have to ship it back to them so they can have it for another month... You get it back... it breaks.... you send it back. That, is the life of a dell laptop.
    If you go dell, you MUST BUY THE WARRANTY. Trust me... You'll use it. And it's always stupid shit, like proprietary fans, screens, cracked casing, keyboards, etc, that go bad -- stuff you can't just go buy.

The asus A1200 or Z33A has EVERYTHING you seek, except bluetooth. And fuck bluetooth, anyway. The A1200 is widescreen, with a better resolution... And the Z33A is standard-ratio.

Well, you'll be spending $400 more for that dell warranty, so factor that in! And remember that you'll be USING the warranty with dell, so factor in your downtime!!! Not to mention that dells are infamous for POOR performance... especially in the battery-life and hdd category! And they run HOT HOT HOT.

I figure $1350 for the Asus Z33A with 40GB 5400RPM 16MB Cache HDD, PM 1.6GHz 2MB L2 533FSB, WinXP Home, 768MB Corsair memory, and DVD/CD-RW Combo drive... That's a sweet machine, too.

9. 01000101

01000101 New Member

that sounds like a MUCH better deal, ill definatly look into that

edit

okay, im liking what im reading about this one. i dont want to kill discussion about other makes/models, but is there a place recommended to order it from so i can start looking into pricing etc?

edit 2

do i want the dothan or sonoma proc? which speed etc? i know i want the [font=verdana, helvetica][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2MB L2 Cache 533 FSB. [/font][/font]i dont plan to be playing games on it, battery life and heat are concerns

is 512mb ram vs 768mb worth $95? if its near-instant gratification vs instant gratification, im not so sure

will 5400 vs 7200 rpm make noticable difference? 40gb is plenty, right? my desktop has almost 200gb, so its not like i need it for storage

is it a good idea to get an extra 9cell battery? 1.5 hours isnt even a whole class period

is the upgrade from 2yr to 3yr warranty worth $95?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2005
  10. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Are you kidding???? I have NEVER had to send a Dell laptop or desktop back.

Where in the hell are you getting this information from?

I've been at my current job for 3 years and with 99.9% Dells here, I have had to call their tech support maybe 3 times. And when I did, they had a tecnician here the next day to fix it if new parts had to be sent out. That's pretty much zero downtime...

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

If I have read your previous threads properly, you're a dell sackrider, and hold no pull in any REAL-LIFE laptop discussion. Furthermore, it has been my experience that Dell treats business customers and consumers differently.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

It's 1 uSODIMM slot, with 256MB onboard. So the diff is between 256MB or 512MB uSODIMM (for 512MB or 768MB, respectively).

do NOT get a 7200rpm drive. Battery life will go to shit, and they run too hot.

the extended battery lasts 6+ hours on that laptop. Get it.

where do you see a "warranty upgrade"? They're ripping you off. The Asus laptops get 3-years straight from the manufacturer!

13. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I recommend Dell because I have and have used many of their machines and have had great luck with them, unlike you I guess.

I simpy asked where you got your 'you have to send back a Dell machine once and month to get fixed' BS from. That's all. You say that kind of crap in every post about Dell's and have never shown the proof.

It seems to me you are an Asus sackrider...

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

But Asus puts out a good product that doesn't break all the time. Check one of hte threads in main OT. A study was posted that showed dell as having the WORST reliability record.

15. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Well, I ran a search in OT and the archives and didn't find it.

I barely read one single post about people not liking Dell excect for your comments in a couple of them.

I'd appreciate a link if you have it.

Either way, experience > stats...

You have your opinion and I have mine...

16. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

:mamoru:

17. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

That is a fucking retarted statement.

18. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

u noe a Dell is only as good as a machine that you build yourself. Dell does not manufacture any of its own components, they just hook up and package everything. all the hard drives, the RAM, motherboard, they all came from someone else. Dell LCDs are made by Samsung or LG, the Dell DJ (hard drive MP3 player) is a Creative with a "DELL" stamped on it. so what you should be asking is, what hard drive does this particular Dell use, and is it a good one? what RAM does it use, and is it good? just because a "Dell" is stamped on a product doesn't make it good or bad. Don't judge a book by its cover right? I bought a Dell Ultrasharp 19 inch LCD, and when people ask me what LCD I have I tell them i have a Samsung, cause IT IS a Samsung! Dell just put their logo on it and sell it for cheaper.

just my $.02

19. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Thanks for all the details on why...

I've have used and worked on many Dell machines and have not had any problems with them. I have no reason to not buy one if I needed a new machine or to not recommend one to someone else.

You think I'm going to give a shit about what the stats supposedly are or what people on a bulletin board think?

20. 01000101

01000101 New Member

im not interested in throwing down $1500 on a crap shoot. i went into looking at laptops thinking that dells were to be avoided, and the opinions/facts presented so far certainly have done nothing to dispel that preconception.

21. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

to borrow your own argument, do you think I give a shit what you think?

22. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Dells may not be not top-notch in build quality like IBM, for instance. But that is just stupid. What experiences led you to such an outlandish view of Dell?

A lot of our customers have Dells, we do Dell warranty service at our satellite shop, and I've never seen anything like that happen with a machine. These are college students too, the notebooks get beat to shit and spilled on and that breaks them, but they don't just break themselves.

By the way, checked out Hyundai's CR reliability ratings lately? :p

Last edited: Jul 28, 2005