WTB 12in Powerbook and upgrade to 250 internal HD

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Dusty, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Dusty

Dusty OT Supporter

Has anyone on here successfully completed this massive undertaking? I have seen guides on the interwebs, but limited info on completed projects.

2. newsroom_can

newsroom_can Canada eh?

No. I just stuck with external drives.

3. LOLZILLA

LOLZILLA New Member

Just...open it up and exchange the drives, what's the problem?

4. DjShiznit

DjShiznit Representing Deutschland, yah.

I installed a 250GB HDD into my MBP. Not the easiest procedure, but definitely not impossible. If you take your time and go slow, you should be OK. (I've had plenty of experience repairing laptop previously, so yeah it may have been a little easier for me than most, but it's still not rocket science)

5. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Installing a new drive in a MacBook Pro is much easier then a PowerBook. The MacBook Pro requires you only take off the battery and then the RAM and hard drive cover, pull the drive and slide a new one in. The PowerBook requires you take the keyboard, top cover, remove the drive, take the drive isolator off the old one and put it on the new one, then put it all back together. Not impossible but it is a bit of a pain. Here are nice instructions. See if you think you're up to it. Make sure you get a grounding wrist band if you do it as you wouldn't want to harm your machine or drive.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/PowerBook-G4-Al-12-Inch/HD-Replacement/53/11/