WSB Training for a Noob

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by chickenadobo, Mar 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chickenadobo

chickenadobo New Member

WARNING: LONG ASS MUFUCKIN POST

Hello F&N! I have been religiously lurking this past year and every day I have learned more and improved my strength and size thanks to everyone here. From the end of August up until today I have went from 130lbs to 157 lbs at 5'5 1/2". Anyways, these past months I have been doing christopher's routine and then switched over to a different 5x5 scheme with great gains. I've gone from a shitty 115lb 3x8 bench to a 175 lb max (tested just yesterday which went up too easy), corrected squat form by going a2g currently at 205 3x5, and deadlifting with decent form (no rounded back) double overhand 225 5x5 from a nonexisting deadlift.
    Again, all thanks to the awesome posters in f&n.

So, the last 6ish weeks here at my university I felt I'd make the most out of the free gym and then consider buying a powerrack + weights etc for my home during summer. I've decided that I want to get into strength and hypertrophy a secondary concern. I recently have been reading up on the west side theory at the efs site and got this routine off of the UFL powerlifting website.
    The Standard Template

Sunday - Dynamic Effort Bench
    Dynamic Bench Press 8x3 @ 55% 45 to 60s rest
    Close Grip BP 3x6
    Pull-ups 3x12
    DB Military Press 3x12

Monday - Max Effort Squat/DL
    Max Effort Exercise - 3x1 @ 90% max for that exercise
    RDL - 3x6
    Barbell Shrugs - 4x12
    Back Extension - 3x6
    Abs -

Wednesday - Max Effort Bench Press
    Max Effort Exercise - 3x1 @ 90% max for that exercise
    Triceps Pushdown 3 x 8 - 12
    Chest Supported Row 3x8
    Upright Row 3x12

Friday - Dynamic Squat/DL
    Dynamic Squat - see dynamic squat cycle below
    Dynamic Deadlift - see below
    Barbell Shrugs 4x8
    GHR 3x10
    Abs
    Dynamic Squat Cycle - week 1 [email protected]% week [email protected]% week [email protected]%

Dynamic Deadlift Cycle - week1 8x1 @ 55% week2 8x1 @ 60% week3 6x1 @ 65%
    I remember someone posting a link to it a while back here.

There are just a few questions I have for those who are familiar with this. I know a few of you are...

1. Doesn't westside require that one rotates one max session of either s/b/d ever three weeks in order not to burn out? If so, how would you rotate since in this routine every lift is being tested for a max each week? Am I reading the routine wrong?
    2.Since my gym doesn't have a GHR machine will SLDL's with same rep scheme suffice?
    3. Eating heavy should still promote a decent amount of hypertrophy in the end correct?
    4. Is there any reason why I should not go through with this routine given my current numbers? (frankly i want a break from 5x5 even though i love leaving the gym feeling i am about to die)

Maybe we can get a westside4noobz sticky going. Sorry for the lack of AV as I am an unemployed college kid atm. And again shoutout to this bombass forum! :bowdown:

2. forum95

forum95 Come see bout us OT Supporter

Good thread, I have been plataeud for a while now and am looking to make fresh strength gains, so IN4sticky.

3. chickenadobo

chickenadobo New Member

my bench and squat seemed to level out in the past few weeks and i've only been adding about 1 shitty rep to my 5rm as in hitting 3/5 one week and 3.5/5 the next. i know 5x5 requires the 3x3 deload and i figure a week off and and week with high 1rm% singles and triples would suffice. i'd really like to get back to 5x5 sometime later on. i really dont feel like finishing the deload and doing another 5x5. any words on this?

4. chickenadobo

chickenadobo New Member

drunkgerbil, thank you for that. i remember reading that somewhere. However I am still confused. In the routine I listed above there are 2 max effort days (something inherent in all WSB routines have right?), so you will be maxing on 2 different exercises a week? Then why would you need to rotate between maxing your exercises?

5. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

yes... a bench variation and a squat/gm/deadlift variation generally

so you can continue to hit PR's each week

6. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

1. already covered
    2. do rdl's instead of sldl's
    3. yes
    4. not really... do whatever routine you want.

7. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

Stay on 5x5, you have no base

8. Hpower

Hpower GO GATORS

I have a question. How much does prior exercise in the same day affect your lifting? I played soccer at 6 and had a max effort upper workout at 10. I ask because in november when I started WSB I benched 315 on flat bench, now last night I did flat bench for the first time since then and only got 305. Now is this because I played soccer earlier, or am I doing something wrong? And if I am doing something wrong what is it?

9. Perkwunos

I dont know what you are doing, or how you are doing it, if you have lost strength it is more than likely from what you eat, or you are doing somethign wrong.

the dynamic DL cycle does not look right, but it is going to depend on how good or bad your form is. doing speed pulls at 135 is nto going to help you...
    You need to pic accessory lifts that are going to improve your lifts, and address weaknesses wich is probably everythign for you.
    If you DL as a max effort movement, you are not goign to do SLDL or RDL afterwards.

For MES I would do 50% GM and mix the rest of the ME days withh squats and pulling
    For MEB, focus on low end work, 2/3 board, floor press, and regular bench, possibly incline or DB bench aswell.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2006
  10. Hpower

Hpower GO GATORS

basically following the standard template. I haven't changed my diet from before I started WSB.

11. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

troof

12. Perkwunos

is just your bench sucking?
    the soccer did not help I am sure

13. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

1. Doesn't westside require that one rotates one max session of either s/b/d ever three weeks in order not to burn out? If so, how would you rotate since in this routine every lift is being tested for a max each week? Am I reading the routine wrong?

three week rotation should be good for you, you are new at this style of training.

2.Since my gym doesn't have a GHR machine will SLDL's with same rep scheme suffice?

No. Do proper 45* Back Raises, pullthroughs, or RDLs - I personally love the first two. Attempt to hold the 45* Back raises for 2 seconds at the top.

3. Eating heavy should still promote a decent amount of hypertrophy in the end correct?

You will grow, just eat... a lot

4. Is there any reason why I should not go through with this routine given my current numbers? (frankly i want a break from 5x5 even though i love leaving the gym feeling i am about to die)

you'll be fine, just train hard and eat. if by UFL you mean Florida... start going to some sessions with the PL team, they'll help you out a ton. oh and you will want to die after these lifts

14. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

I'd stay with the 5x5 and 3x3 stuff for some more time. I wish I had

15. Hpower

Hpower GO GATORS

yeah, the last time I maxed on dl I went up like 30 lbs and my squat is increasing slowly.

16. Perkwunos

where do you fail on bench?

17. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

Bench going down, the story of my life

18. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

when you stop getting stronger increase the FDA....

19. Hpower

Hpower GO GATORS

hmm 6-10 inches off my chest. I understand I should work this portion of my lift but why would I go down in max?

20. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

2/3-boards.

21. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

oh god when fatdude tells you you have no base just kill yourself

22. Perkwunos

zOMG ROFLCOPTERZ LOLasaurus

23. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

ok pt

24. chickenadobo

chickenadobo New Member

hahaha thanks for the replys!

For 2. you're saying instead of ghr, i could do almost liked a modified movement with the back extension machine?

For4. Is there any reason why WSB would be detrimental to me at this stage and should I just continue to build a base with 5x5? I just thought I'd have some variation. If 5x5 is really recommended, at what numbers do you think it'd be good for me to attempt westside? (for fatdude or anyone else).

Maine, I go to NYU and we have no pl team here. Even though we have 2 gyms they each only have 1 power rack so it's kinda lame. Thanks!

25. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

speed work really isn't necessary for your strength level

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.