WRT54GS Router Page Cannot Be Displayed

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by sonicsuby, Jan 20, 2008.

1. sonicsuby

sonicsuby New Member

My father has a Linksys WRT54GS router at his house. He had his desktop PC rebuilt (hdd apparently crashed, I'm not so sure but he lives far enough away that I have to trust his "pc guy at the computer store" :ugh:). Anyway...he had the desktop rebuilt, couldn't remember the WEP key to get on his wireless connection. He logs in to the router and gets the default router page. He clicks on ANY of the links in there - to see status, to change wireless settings, anything, and gets 'Page Cannot Be Displayed" as if the router isn't serving up the page.

He is connected directly to the router (cabled to his laptop). He has not upgraded or attempted to upgrade the firmware. Additionally, a firmware upgrade to resolve this problem is not possible as he can't get to any of the pages in the router that would let him do that. He's telling me he changed nothing on his laptop. I had him clear his browser cache and temporarily lower the security settings in his browser.

I've googled around to find the answer to this and have come up with nothing. Anyone have any ideas of what else to check/do, or should we just replace the router?

Thanks.

2. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

I'd try doing a hard reset on the router and see what happens.

3. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

WEP 128 has been cracked, so he doesn't want to use that version.

Meanwhile, it sounds like some of the network settings might have gotten switched around.

I would look up the Linksys manual and go back through it step by step to make sure the tcp/ip settings are correct.

4. sonicsuby

sonicsuby New Member

Well the problem is that he can't do anything once he's in the router. He gets connected to the routers starting set up page, but from there any link he clicks gives him a 'cannot display page' error.

5. neonwheels

neonwheels New Member

Has he done a hard reset?
    Has he changed the port that he is wired to?
    Has he hit the refresh button once he gets to the "cannot diplay page" error page?

6. sonicsuby

sonicsuby New Member

He did do a hard reset since the error started. I guess he called linksys tech support before calling me and the guy, who obviously didn't understand the problem, told him to upgrade the firmware. Is there a way to do it without being logged in to the router?

I'm not sure if he's changed the port he is connected to, I didn't even think of that actually.

He's tried refreshing the page a bunch of times, but still just gives cannot display.

7. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Which is why I normally avoid networking threads.

:o

8. awns729

awns729 New Member

Some random stuff you might not have tried, but probably won't work, but is still probaly worth a shot lol...

Unplug the router for a while?
    Use a differnet computer to connect to the router if possible?
    (really doubtful) different ethernet cable

maybe its a firmware problem?

if anything, call linksys again and tell them their router is faulty, they'llprobably replace it

sorry i can't help more :\ tough one

9. sonicsuby

sonicsuby New Member

yeah all I can come up with is replacement. What can I tell my dad to get them to replace it for him? He's like me, where this is becoming enough of a PITA that it's worth the $50 to just buy a new one. Can we just ask for a new one or what?s

10. neonwheels

neonwheels New Member

How long has he had it?

11. sonicsuby

sonicsuby New Member

2 years so I doubt they would, but if you know a way.. :)

12. sonicsuby

sonicsuby New Member

I figured it out. My dad has an anti-virus suite installed with the firewall enabled and the firewall was blocking it :mad: :mad:

I didn't realize he was running a software firewall - my bad :o. This is why I don't work helpdesk no mo'.