WRT54G v5 acting flakey

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Euclid, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Euclid

Euclid New Member

We have a WRT54G v5 wireless router and it has been really flakey lately. Every once in a while, something weird happens where it pretty much stops sending DHCP info -- I don't know all of the technical details, but a machine will appear to connect to the router but will not receive a local IP or be able to access anything (even the router config web page). When this happens, often it is not enough to reboot the router or delete entries from the DHCP client list, you usually have to screw around with the settings until it is sufficiently reset.

The firmware is up-to-date. Does anyone else have issues with this thing? Any suggestions?

I guess it's pretty stressed out. There are a couple of wired devices and probably 7-8 wireless machines coming and going during the day. Everyone gets knocked offline regularly from the interference by the microwave oven. I have a feeling that the mickey mouse DHCP server inside this thing just isn't robust enough for our needs, although I didn't think we were being that demanding.

2. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Check that no two machines have the same IP (check the ones that use static IP anyhow) and that no other computer is acting as a DHCP server.

I'm not a pro when it comes to this stuff but those have led to weird experiences for me.

3. Euclid

Euclid New Member

4. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Well there's different linksys WRT54G routers. The WRT54GL is getting awesome reviews from newegg and I've been using one for about 2 months now...I love it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124190

I read somewhere where one user was getting conflicts with other 2.4 Ghz devices. I think it was his home phone. He switched the phone to a 5.4Ghz (or w/e it is) and it completly cleared up his problem. I've been noticing that when I get a phone call, I'll lose my wireless connection....I'm thinking it might be the same issue.

5. hyukki

hyukki ._.

I have the WRT54GS v5 and it works like a charm. No problems what so ever.

6. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

The WRT54G is pretty bad.. especially that version. The GS and GL are quite a bit better. You could try updating the firmware, but I think in the long run you might be best off just replacing the router.

7. Euclid

Euclid New Member

Yeah, supposedly the L model doesn't have all of these problems, but I'm so frustrated with this one that I really don't want to deal with any more of the Linksys consumer line.

My new router shipped locally and should be here this afternoon! :wiggle:

8. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Good luck...hope it works well for ya.

9. zeroace

zeroace ..........

Anybody know that if upgrading the router to the DD-WRT micro version would clear up the problematic issues that the V5 gets?