Writing an article about 100-calorie snack packs..

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Mischa, Aug 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mischa

Mischa Laugh. It won't kill you.

hey guys...

I am writing a piece on 100-calorie snack packs. Basically-- Do these help you lose/maintain weight? Is it just marketing hype?

I am well aware they suck (in my opinion) but I need some quotes, thoughts, opinions, suggestions for things you eat that come in at about 100 calories.

This is not an on-air interview and will just be print.

If anyone is interested, lemme know... but I would need to quote you... name, age, location, etc. so no bullshit please.

to show I am legit:

http://www.wnbc.com/family/13857928/detail.html

Thanks!

2. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

I think they are a great idea for helping people actively maintain and manage how much they are eating. However, I think the average person is so fucking dim witted that they have no clue what a calorie is, or how to use it, and often think that just because they eat one of these, they will magically lose weight.

I am not really interested in giving you info, because my opinion means dick, I am fat as shit.

3. lawrencel715

lawrencel715 New Member

These things could definitely help for the masses. The majority of Americans are overweight and have no self-control when it comes to eating. Most don't have the faintest idea about nutrition. So for these people who don't, it's way better for them to consume these 100 calorie snacks rather than a 350 calorie candy bar. For those of us who do know a thing or two about nutrition, these are a waste of money. Why not just buy snacks in bulk and separate them into ~100 calorie packets yourself and save money?

4. Mystery Guest

Mystery Guest New Member

People are weak minded and have no sense of control. So it's a good idea for the company money wise. But in the end fatty is going to eat 5 snack packs at a time.

5. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

not all calories are the same :rofl:

6. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

7. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

They don't satisfy any appetite what so ever. After eating one I don't feel any hunger go away. And at 100 calories, what the hell, why not have another one.

And so it goes.

8. lawrencel715

lawrencel715 New Member

it's all about control, so if these snacks can help people control in a way, then it's worthy to be out there. i mean personally, if i had a big bag of potato chips, i'd probably eat way more of it than a small one. it's not too noticeable to overeat something without thinking. with packets, once you finish, you know it's gone. so you only have yourself to blame if you open up more packets, and not the i was distracted from the tv excuse from a big bag.

9. Plan B

Plan B New Member

completely worthless, they have no beneficial nurtient value

10. Plan B

Plan B New Member

want 100 calorie snack fatty? eat a cup of grapes!

11. Plan B

Plan B New Member

how about a half cup of cottage cheese?

12. Man Bear Pig

Man Bear Pig Banned

These snack packs are just smaller portioned versions of "unhealthy" food to begin with. If people are actually concerned about living a healthier life, as someone already mentioned, there are natural 100>* calorie snack packs, such as an apple, orange, or banana. By eating these snack packs people are actually missing an opportunity to eat something of great nutritional value, getting essential vitamins and minerals, instead of processed simple carbohydrates, artificial sugars, and modified vegetable oils.

13. calisteph6

calisteph6 Active Member

Most of the stuff in them is basically "wasted calories" because the nutritional value in them sucks. Good for middle aged women on weight watchers I guess. I just buy nuts, beef jerky or popcorn and put a small amount in a plastic baggie for work...I think that's a little better for you.

14. jonno

jonno New Member

not a bad snack... fuck, it's a 100 cals. it's not going to hurt you and it's something that may keep you sane and stop binging. shouldnt be a staple for someone trying to diet down for a contest or whatever... but for 99% of people they're fine.

15. maks

maks Bah! t(-_-t)

:eek3:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dieting with Cupcakes and Cookies :rofl:

16. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

i think that you can easily get to sub 15% bf by just watching overall calories and eating bad food > 50% of the time

17. qwop

qwop underground pirate OT Supporter

I wouldn't say that they're for anyone here - all calories are not equal and all of that crap...but I think that it's a good start for the food industry in general.

It sounds ridiculous now, given the amount of media attention nutrition has got over the last few years (particularly in the UK with Jamie Oliver and his school meals campaign and the introduction of more prominent nutritional labelling on products etc) but when I was growing up, I didn't have a clue what a calorie was - and I was a straight A student.

Ok, I knew that I probably shouldn't eat 3 Mars bars a day and that an apple was better for me than a packet of crisps, but I didn't really get why I should drink diet soda instead of regular for example - and there were hundreds of kids at my school who would eat the shittest school meals going (chips, pie, spaghetti hoops, doughnut, coca-cola) and didn't seem to gain weight, so the "eating a shit diet" and "looking like a fat bastard" didn't correlate as much as you'd expect them to.

(Although, obviously, this was down to other factors such as exercise and what they were eating at home.)

So 100 calorie packs are good for people who are starting to lose weight for the first time, or who don't have the time to weigh out a portion, or who can't control their portion size.

If it keeps somebody going through the first part of a diet phase, when they're probably suffering from cravings for the shit diet they were eating the week before, so that they get to a point where they realise it should be something with more nutritional value, I'm all for it.

And although it's not ideal, it might make a few people realise about portion size - I'm sure there's a lot of people who'd think nothing of cramming down a load of Oreo cookies and not realise that they've just consumed their day's worth of calories in that one sitting - it might help them control their portions later in life.

I don't use them myself (don't even think we have them here) but we do have a low calorie popcorn. It's not a huge portion but for 150 cals, it's nice to have something in the cinema and enjoy and not totally shit my diet up... else, especially at other times of my life, I'd be tempted to say fuck it and have a huge over-filled box.

18. Mippity

Mippity New Member

I agree that most people have no idea about nutrition. At the same time, I think it is a clever and idea.

Portion size is a thing many don't think about controlling. If someone has one of these at work instead of a bag of doritos that's something like 1000 calories a workweek difference. If they do that for 3.5 weeks - they've lost a pound without doing any work.

19. xSteveO

xSteveO Guest

honestly I think it's a horrible idea and just cost more money. My girlfriend's brother who is pretty highly overweight (38" waist @ 4'6) eats the things like they're candy. It's cool for people who actually have the motivation/knowledge about nutrition, but for younger kids it's nothing but an expensive joke.

20. Man Bear Pig

Man Bear Pig Banned

Holy fuck how old is this kid? And why does he have access to this shit?!:rofl:

21. xSteveO

xSteveO Guest

he's 10. it's just the way their family is. they all eat junk, never actually "cook" food. it's microwave meals or pre-cooked oven food.

they have him involved in activities (karate) but it's not working for shit. I don't know how (as a parent) you would tell your kid he needs to lose weight, that'd be a very hard subject to touch on

22. Mippity

Mippity New Member

I was the same way when I was a kid. Food was not cooked that often. I insisted on pizza rolls and shit :rofl::rofl::rofl:. I remember once telling my mom not to buy margarine and lite food because not everyone was on a diet ...what a mean youngster
    :mamoru::mamoru:

It took me a while to get out of that habit and it will take that 4'6 monster just as long to learn the err of those ways.

23. Man Bear Pig

Man Bear Pig Banned

Wow they sound like real fucking winners. Nice to know parents are taking care of their children...

24. xSteveO

xSteveO Guest

did you eat perfect meals when you were a kid? Doubtful. I don't keep up with his intake for a whole day, but I've seen him slam down 10 of the 100 calorie packages in 5 minutes. Maybe his metabolism is fucked up or maybe he just eats too much, but it's not an easy thing to tell your kid that he's overweight and needs to drop some weight. I'm not gonna say anything, but they could definitely afford to maybe cook a real dinner once in a while.

I ate shit when I was a kid too, but never was overweight. We had one big homecooked meal every night. The rest was just the same old shit he used to eat. Frozen pizzas, cereal, ramen, candy, milk, cheese

25. Gohan4862

Gohan4862 New Member

wow thats a sad perspective.

First of all, hes ten, the least they can do is stop buying that shit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.