A&P Write your experiences while taking pictures

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by SenenCito, Feb 16, 2006.

1. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

One time I was taking picture of one car for a webpage, im doing my thing getting some real good shots while the owner of the car keeps trying to act as director and pushing for one shot..asking for this and that..and he finally proceeds to ask for my camera so he could shoot..almost wanted to break it in his face..that felt pretty damn insulting.

so what things have happenned to you guys while taking pictures

2. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

I was taking pictures of some items at work so we could send them to a customer but I wanted to try my hand at "studio" style photos. I created a white background using papertowels and used 2 SB800's with my on board flash controlling them. I had to have taken about 50-60 photos just to get the lighting and DOF to how I liked it. Tried moving the flashes around, turning off the store lights, etc and I kept getting overexposed shots.

Needless to say, I ended up backlighting the paper towels (at the curved part) with one SB800 in slave mode and using the other SB800 as the master in the hotshoe and aiming that flash up using the bounce card. Reduced all shadows and got the dof I liked.

3. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

in december I was out taking shots of one of my favorite water falls in the area... I was crouched down looking through the finder and I hear a *plop* somehow my zoom lens fell out of my bag and landed in the creek. :hs:

4. MrGone

MrGone New Member

IntheWorks, was it ok or a fatality :noes:? :hs:

"I bet you can take some nice pictures with that" shooting Snoqualmie Falls with my 350D + 17-85 IS.... probably the battery + hood that did it :o

Family members asking me to take pictures of stuff they want to sell on ebay/etc. They get upset when you use their point and shoot instead of your camera :o

My favorite one was at a car meet, this neon green (92ish) Accord with huge wing/can/kit/full deal drives by and a few guys shouted to get pics.... by the time others were getting their cameras out I had already taken 3 shots and was putting the lens cap back on. The priceless part was seeing others go :eek4: and give up fumbling with their cameras as mine was going click click click :hs:

5. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

it's a cheapie sigma... it still seems to work fine it's just dirty, so I'm going to try and pull it apart to clean it. If I break it, no biggie.. but it'll give me some experience pulling a lens apart.

6. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

i was on assignment shooting a protest when the war was just getting underway and I pushed down another photographer covering the scene so I could get away.

He ended up getting detained by the police :Ownedd:

7. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

:mamoru:

8. sony

sony Active Member

I was shooting a motorsports event and the map with the media spots was really confusing, luckily for me I spotted some orange vests heading out into this open spot and I followed them. When I got there, there was a grass area by track that a couple photographers were standing at so I migrated over there. The spot was right after a hairpin turn so the cars weren't moving that fast and there was a firetruck there w/ a couple fire fighters and they weren't saying anything about me standing there without an impact barrier so I kind switched to my 85mm (that's about how close I was, 85 was filling the frame). I fired a few shots and chimped a bit and when I looked up

this car:

[​IMG]

had spun out and was sliding towards me. :Ownedd: I grabbed my bag and stepped back 3 or 4 steps and afterwards walked over to the impact barrier where I shot the rest of the night. :embd:

9. I have had a similar experience.

I was on the track at a Nopi event taking pictures of some of the cars while they were staging. As you can see from the picture I was standing where the red arrow is pointing. The barrier is probably 7 to 10 feet to the left. And there is that little tiny barrier thing that you can see in the right side of the picture also. The guy in that picture that the arrow is pointing to is not me but when that kid moved I took his place. Well to make a long story short this car went up to stage. spinning wheels like crazy, smoke everywhere and then he started letting off the break and was goign to fly by us and I guess he turned the wheel a little bit and the car started coming STRAIGHT TOWARDS ME!!! :noes: Myself and everyone around me jumped back really quickly and I managed to squeeze off a shot or 2 but the site I was taking pictures for has the pics and I'm IPbanned so I can't find the pic to show you guys. :mamoru:

[​IMG]

But yeah after that happened the cops were there telling everyone to leave and they had to be behind a barrier and they were being total dicks to all the photgraphers :o

10. Tomash

Tomash Active Member

I've had a guy come up to me with some pice of shit P&S once and ask how many megapixels my 350D (with the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 on) had. I said 8MP, he said, so does my camera, but I bet mine's cheaper". I ignored him.
    Next time someone asks me that, I'll say 40 or something like that to shut them up.

11. Tomash

Tomash Active Member

I've read a badass story on another forum.
    Some guy was at a concert (5th row or so), taking pics with his 1D MkII. As soon as people heard the camera go chakakakakakakakakakakaka, the turned around, and let him moved to the first row. :rofl:

12. :rofl: :Ownedd:

Yea I've had people come up to me and ask what settings they should change so that they would get better pictures out of their camera's. :mamoru:

They ask me like I'm a photography guru and I'm the master of all cameras, I only have a sony 828 :dunno: :mamoru:

13. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

I use to see people near the burnout boxes not even thinking about the risk of having a car slide right into them :hsd: it's usually the new guys up there while the vets are hiding behind the barriers :mamoru:

14. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

some awesome stories keep them going

here's another.

a few weeks ago I was shooting "las fiestas de la calle" it was ridiculously full of people and I was having too much of a damn good time..after some beers a friend calls while I was putting lenses on my backpack, I talk to her and agree to meet her and do a 180 while forgetting to close my backpack..out goes the fisheye smashing against the floor..luckily the fucker didnt break the crystal, but the locking mechanism is screwed up, and not only did I have to stand the shame of hell of losing my fisheye also a whole group of people laughing at me.

this is the last shot I took with it, gotta send it for repairs now

[​IMG]

15. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

Dont you keep a copy of the originals? should always keep your own copies man

16. Yea the one I posted is one of the originals. I took about 6 gigs worth of data at that show (I only have 4 gigs worth of memory) I had to upload some of the pics to a friends computer to transfer the data to the website for me. There was a bunch of drama about me upping the pics to a friends computer for storage but at least the site got all the images. I'm still missing like a gig or 2 of originals but oh well, it wont happen again though.

This year I'm getting my own laptop. I keep wanting to hold out though because I hear of more and more cool stuff coming out like dual core processors and this and that and there's a new version of windows coming out and :run:

When I get my computer It's going to be maxed out and I don't want to have to upgrade anything. And that's the story of why I don't have my own laptop yet :o

Oh and not to mention the ones I keep building online cost $4,000 + :o

17. Yea but you can't get good shots with all the people standing there. Plus my sony doesn't have an option to attach a 70-300is :mamoru: :o

18. Derrict

I've only been to ATCO a few times; I hated the track so I always bypassed their events. I've never had issues with Etown, Maple Grove, Budds Creek, etc.

19. I've been to maple grove and budds creek also

:mamoru: they all seem the same to me :dunno: :big grin:

20. Derrict

Those tracks have the islands in the middle. Most photographers don't go there so it's just you, the track personnel, and the christmas tree. :bigthumb:

21. Werd, I ventured in the middle just ONCE...

after that never again.. that shit was WAYYYYY too loud and scary :run:

I think some pretty cool shots could be taken from the island with a fisheye or wide angle lens though. :dunno: :bigthumb:

22. Derrict

Ear plugs or some sort of ear protection. I have some muffs that block out the low frequencies and allow you to hear human voices at normal levels so you're able to hear track officials yelling at you :lol:

23. lol yea i'll definately be investing in some ear protection this year. :coold:

24. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

I like tracks..but when those 7 second rotary starlets are staging I get the fuck out of the way..those fuckers can make you deaf

25. Derrict

I see you're from P.R. :wiggle: This NY/NJ/PA area, for some reason, has a high concentration of Puerto Ricans that love their rotaries. The Starlets are great for wheelie shots, though. :bigthumb: