WEB wpmu or regular wordpress with multiple subdomains?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by nashstradamus, Jun 12, 2009.

1. nashstradamus

nashstradamus New Member

I am building a popurls like site for a broad category topic with Wordpress.

Each category within this topic will have its own subdomain (ie cat1.domain.com, cat2.domain.com, etc)

Most of the site is built using widgets which were made for the regular version of Wordpress.

For stability reasons, would I have better luck installing one version of WPMU (and database) and running each subdomain off of a child "blog" or just installing a separate version (and database) of normal Wordpress on each?

If it is close to being the same, do you think it is worth the time modifying the plugins that aren't compatible just to get it to work?

Because most of the content will be pulled via RSS feeds I don't see it really being server intensive and I will probably use some cache-ing plugins to help as well.

Sounds like a stupid question, but I have limited experience with WPMU..

Thanks ahead of time to anyone who can help answer

2. nashstradamus

nashstradamus New Member

also, I have a dedicated virtual box with 512 dedicated ram

3. Yahdude

Yahdude New Member

WPMU is easy as pie...and would seem to me like the best option here.

I've got some experience with it, some software I use manages blog networks with it...most every plugin I've used works perfectly on the sub blogs. Would be much easier than setting up a seperate WP install for each sub domain.

On that note, I don't have a link handy but I read that wordpress is implementing WPMU into the regular WP release in the next couple updates.

4. nashstradamus

nashstradamus New Member

hmmm really? is this going to be included in future 2.8 updates or are we talking further down the line?